SS Atlantic

Mike Taylor

Dec 13, 2005
I only caught the tail end of a story on the SS Atlantic on a Discovery channel show the other day. Said something about the loss of live either being greater then or close to the Titanic with very few people having survived, she is said to have sunk off the Atlantic provinces after running aground. Anyone have any info on this ship or know where I can find any?
Thanks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Atlantic was a White Star ship which tried to put into Halifax when she ran low on coal. Unfortunately, a navigation error put her onto a reef, and she began to flood rapidly. Supposedly, 300 people trapped below decks were killed in the first several minutes after the ship ran aground. All told, an estimated 481 people out of the 931 died in the disaster.

This happened on April 1st 1873. April Fools day ironically enough.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
There's another thread on S.S. Atlantic that has 18 messages, and some interesting comments. Check it out.

B

Barbara DeCrow Goldberg

There is an article about the SS Atlantic in the most recent edition of the THS "Commutator." I believe that it is the first part of a two part series.

Barbara

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
get Great Sea Disasters the book i have it its great the whole story of the Atlantic is there and many more shipping disasters.plus an artists impression of the disaster.hope it helps.

M

Mary Ellen Logan

The Atlantic has its own web site:
ssatlanticpark.com. I found it by links with the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic's site: museum.gov.ns.ca/mma

April 1, 1873 the ship went down off Terence Bay -about 30 minutes from Halfiax, Nova Scotia. There is a cemetery and a memorial to the lives lost.

An elderly gentlman told me that his grandfather was one of the rescuers. He took part in the rescue of the only child to live - 12 year old John Hendley. There were 976 passengers. 546 drowned. No women survived.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
Atlantic,128 metres long,13 metres wide,and with a gross tonnage of 3,700 tonnes was a mixed propulsion boat,which means that,as well as a steam engine,the vessel was also equiped with sails which enabeled her to sail at a cruising speed of 13.5 knots and top speed of 14 knots.she could carry 1,200 passengers,166 first class and second class and 1,000 in third.after her maiden voyage at the end of spring 1871 the international press described her as the most luxurious ship to have ever sailed across the seas.she left Liverpool on 20 March 1873 bound for New York with 931 passengers and crew.from the start it was bad the ship battled head gales all the way across.after more than a week of slow progress and discomfort and the coal bunkers rapidly emptying, captain J.A.Williams ordered to alter course to Halifax,Nova Scotia.it was a poor decision.at 3 am on 1 April,the Atlantic ran into rocks of Meagher Island,Nova Sotia.the boats were washed from deck and there was panic all around ,but one of the officers swam a line to a dry rock 150 yards (137 metres away) many were halled to safety that way.many more however succumbed to exposure and exaustion and were swept away.as dawn lightened the sky local Islanders came out on fishing boats to pick up survivors,but no less than 560 lives had already been lost.