SS Bremen world cruise

• Thread starter John A. Zdanowicz
  • Start date
J

John A. Zdanowicz

Does anyone know if the SS Bremen did a world cruise in early 1938. I have a advertising booklet for this cruise which indicates that the ship was to pass thru the Panama Canal but I have never been able to find anything else such as menus and such. I know the ship passed thru the Panama Canal on the 1939 round south america cruise and I thought this was the only time the ship made the transit. I have always been curious about this and exactly what the ship did during the first three months of 1938.

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
Hello, John---

According to the shipping columns and display ads in The New York Times, Bremen left New York on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda on 28 December 1937, returning to New York on 3 January. She sailed for home the next day and made New York arrivals, all from Bremen, on 20 January, 10 February, 10 March and 1 April.

J

John A. Zdanowicz

Thanks for that info. It would appear that the Bremen world cruise never took place. I wonder if it got cancelled because of unstable world conditions in 1938?

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
The only help I can provide on that score, John, if you consider it help, is that I don't see any reference at all in The New York Times to a planned 1938 world cruise for Bremen. There are, though, are a couple of articles about a 1937 one that was planned and then cancelled when bookings fell off after calls in Japan and China were cancelled due to the war situation there.

J

John A. Zdanowicz

Okay, so the mystery is finally solved thanks to your help. There was a NY Times story dated 11/12/37 saying that the proposed Bremen world cruise was cancelled due to heavy losses of passenger bookings due to a shift in the itinerary to avoid war zones. It was to have commenced on Feb. 2, 1938.

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
There was a NY Times story dated 11/12/37

That's the one. There was an earlier mention of this cruise in the "Events of Interest in the Shipping World" column of 18 April 1937 if you're interested.