SS Connemara and Retriever 3rd November 1916 Carlingford Lough

Jun 24, 2006
Hello - newbie here and wondering if anyone could help with resources for this incident, especially casualty lists?

Nice to be here!

Simon

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The London & North Western Railway steamer Connemara collided with the collier Retriever during a severe gale on the night of 3 November 1916. It transpired that the collier was without lights, as her lamps had been extinguished by the mountainous waves. Details of the Connemara can be found in Railway & Other Steamers by Duckworth & Langmuir (1948), while the accident will presumably have been reported in The Times (available on-line). Both ships sank almost immediately; 51 passengers and 31 L&NWR employees died aboard the Connemara, although a number of cattle were able to swim ashore despite the furious storm.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
Details of the Connemara can be found in Railway & Other Steamers by Duckworth & Langmuir (1948), while the accident will presumably have been reported in The Times (available on-line).

I have looked at The Times, and there are some useful details. There was just one survivor who, oddly, was said to have been the only member of the collier's crew who could not swim!

D

Deleted member 173198

Little is known of this disaster but the Connemara of 1916 did fall under the protection of the Titanic Relief Fund.

This was a small Fund which only lasted until 1927, and what small amount of capital was left over was soon transferred over to the Lusitania Fund.

D

Deleted member 173198

Simon -- some years ago your post was requesting anything to do with a casualty list. Only a small number of dependants appear with the 1924 Relief Fund report I actually obtain, which outlines the finicial year ahead, and giving instructions on the Area Committee's own burgets to keep within each quarter - which I am afraid was never a good gudeline as most always overestimated the burget quota leaving the London Mansion House Committee going barking mad with anger. If you wish I could send you copies but there's no reference to the main namesake you were searching for some years back. He's an intriguing marvel, one hell of a big mystery. I wonder if he ever did exist??