SS FranceNorway Surprise

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
It is my understanding that NCL is in contact with the French Government who is interested in purchasing the ship and using it as a hotel. To my knowledge no deal to date has been made.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I signed the petition; now it has 1931 signatures. Hopefully, it will soon be 2000 signatures.
I sent word to three of my friends, who sailed on the NORWAY in September 2001.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
Apparently the Norway/France has been deemed too expensive to convert to a hotel, and has been sold to an India shipbreaker for scrap, for 18 million .

Very SAD, but sometimes dreams are too expensive.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I caught that story on Maritime Matters yesterday Keep in mind that the sale to a shipbreaker hasn't been confirmed as far as I know. No source was mentioned. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. I think this is another example of a ship worthy of preservation being bitten by hard economic reality. The popular appeal and desire is there but the money is not. A lot of potential museum ships/floating hotels have had proposals die on the vine for exactly that reason.

N

Nicolas Roughol

I heard on the French radio today that Norway would be delivered to shipbreakers on Monday if no other viable solution was found till then. Norway costs $500,000 per month to NCL and they can't afford it anymore. Apparently this is what Niels North, of NCL announced in a Norwegian newspaper today. Several French newspapers report this as well.

A few days ago, a famous French tourism company, Pierre et Vacances, abandoned their project of converting Norway to a floating hotel and museum, as it was too expensive for them.

http://www.ouest.france3.fr/info/8515539-fr.php

Sorry for those of you who don't read French, but I couldn't find any English news reporting this.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
Norway sent to Malaysia and avoids scrapyards.

Norwegian Cruise Line said on Tuesday the venerable ocean liner will be sent to Malaysia for use in an undisclosed new venture.

The move will also give custody of the ship to NCL's parent company, Hong Kong-based Star Cruises Group.

In a statement, NCL said Star Cruises is making arrangements to have the Norway towed to Port Klang in Malaysia for use in a new venture, "details of which will remain undisclosed for the time being."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/local/sfl-znorway06apr06,0,1170726.story?coll=sfla-business-headlines

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
also found this:

Key dates for SS Norway

1962: Enters service as SS France
1974: Laid up at Le Havre, France
1979: Bought and rebuilt as SS Norway
1980: Begins Miami cruises for Norwegian Cruise Line
1990: Two decks added
2001: Retirement of ship postponed after 9-11
2003: Boiler explodes, killing eight crew members
2003: Ship towed to Germany