SS Garcassia Information Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harriet Collingham

I have a picture of a ship in Malta, named S.S Garcassia and I would love to find out more about her. All I know is that she was in Malta June 25th 1947. Any information would be greatly appreciated as she is, I guess, part of family history.
Best Wishes,
Hattie

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Hattie -

I've had a look for the Garcassia in Lloyds for a few years either side of 1947 but didn't find her - any chance that her name wasn't clear on the photo and it might be spelled another way or that the year was unclear?

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hello, Hattie---

Circassia's on Great Ships. I don't at the moment know whether (a) I've written her history already and it just hasn't been put on the site, or (b) I haven't written it yet. I'll check tonight and advise.

Apr 24, 2002
Harriet, if it was the Circassia as Dave suggested, it was built in 1937 by the Anchor Line and weighed 11,136 tons,

It was requisitioned by the Royal Navy in 1940 and served as an armed merchant cruiser intil 1942,

from 1942-43 it served as Troopship and was then used as a Landing Ship Infantry Large (assault transport troop ship). as far as i am aware the ship was handed back to the Anchor Line at the end of the war

Cliff

H

Harriet Collingham

thanks for all the replies. Her name is actually handwritten on the back, it's a stern-facing shot so i cant see her name. It could very possible be Circassia, due to the phonetic similarity.

She does look very very much like that picture on the link Mark, thanks
happy.gif

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Circassia and her sister Cilicia operated out of UK west coast ports to Calcutta post WWII possibly up to the early 1960s. These sisters dated from the 1930s and could be described as intermediate passenger vessels. They operated out of a loading berth in Birkenhead (north side East Float I think). Malta would very probably have been on their itinerary. Both vessels were in normal trading but may have had a contract with the war department for limited troop accommodation to/from Port Said (and Malta?) throughout the 1950s.

Anchor were a Glasgow company dating from the 1850s and all their vessels were Glasgow registered. At one time they ran a troopship (the name of which I can't for the moment recall) as Anchor-Donaldson.

Anchor also had a transatlantic run with cargo vessels.

I seem to recall that Circassia and Cilicia were motor vessels.

Here is one link but a diligent search will surely elicit more....

http://www.gjenvick.com/maritime/steamships/anchor_line/history.html

Noel

Status
Not open for further replies.