SS Lurline

Butch Lewis

Jul 23, 2009
I was also wondering if a passenger manifest is available for the Lurline. My Dad was in the Army and was stationed at Schofield Barracks. We left in 1959 or 1960. I remember playing shuffleboard and wandering around the ship late one night when my parents thought me and my two sisters and brother were in the cabin. I was 6 years old. That would never happen in this day and age. I do remember watching the wake of the ship off the stern. There was also a childrens program I believe it was called "Cakey Town". I remember seeing Bambi there and playing musical chairs. When we arrived in San Francisco, I remember passing Alcatraz and my Dad leaning out the port hole and waving a towl as we passed under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Erin

Nov 17, 2011
My war bride mother and I arrived in the USA on 7 April 1946 aboard the SS Lurline. We sailed from Sydney, Australia. I've still got the US Army tag I had to wear to debark in San Francisco. Also have the Lurline pamphlet and a copy of the ship's newsletter, Bride Lines.
My mother and I belong to the WWII War Brides Association. You can read about it at: http://www.geocities.com/us_warbrides/

Dee James

Oct 3, 2009
Sailed on that ship from 1939 as an infant living in Honolulu, until the Pearl Harbor attack in 41. My Mother would take our car along with us, so we could get around San Francisco.

Mar 19, 2010
My father, William A. "Bill" McClendon served on the Lurline before and during WWII as a crewman and Merchant Marine. I have some of his memorabilia and photos that I will try to share

kathi kanott

Jun 20, 2010
I have two restaurant type menu's from the s.s.lurline dated 1939.They both have hawaiian type pictures on the front one is a complete menu and the other is blank inside.I was wondering if they could be valuable and hoping that someone could tell me how to find out.The menu's belonged to my husbands grandfather.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was wondering if they could be valuable and hoping that someone could tell me how to find out.<<

They might be. It might help if you could gat a hold of an antiques dealer who specializes in liner ephemerea. In the meantime, make sure you take good care of them.

Sep 21, 2010
FACTS AS I HAVE THEM:

Dec 7 1941 -- Grandpa/Grandma Powell, 2 uncles, and Mom are residents of Pearl Harbor Hawaii. Japan gets uppity...

June 1942 -- 4-7 June, USA gets even, so to speak.
Grandma and 3 kids head for USA aboard the Matson Liner "Lurline"
Grandpa stays in Hawaii (there are unconfirmed rumors that the letters "OSS" were on his resume
somewhere, if it had ever been printed).
Uncle Tom has a copy of the shipboard newsletter from that voyage -- undated, but with baseball
scores, news coverage of President, etc.
On-board restrictions during voyage included night blackouts, no smoking on deck, constant wearing of life jackets.

I have the names and ages of Grandma and the 3 kids.

Matson is still in business.

Uncle Tom is looking for a copy of the passenger manifest for that trip for a family thing for next year (70th anniversary Pearl Harbor).

What are the odds of:
(A) that passenger manifest still existing
(B) me getting a copy (digital, paper, doesn't matter) of said manifest

What sounds like the best way to pursue this?
Pretty up the above facts, communicate with Matson via email to appropriate section, and ask sweetly?

Anyone have any other suggestions, I'm open to them.

Charlie Cotterman
Dayton OH

L

Lurline Berry

My dad was the barber for the SS Lurline in the late 50's. His name was Raymond Bowers. He talked a lot about his voyages on the Lurline before he died.

C

Cindi Richwine

My dad is trying to find out the exact dates the Lurline left San Francisco for Brisban in June of 1943. He thinks it sailed under the Golden Gate on June 26th and arrived in Brisban on July 11th. He was on it, but at 90 years of age, things are becoming a bit foggy
happy.gif
It's important to him...is anyone out there able to help? Thanks! Cindi

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Have you tried Ancestry.com? I looked there, and found that the Lurline arrived in San Francisco on May 31, 1943, and was in Honolulu on July 26, as she returned to San Francisco. I can't find an early July record of her arriving in Hawaii en route to Brisbane, but if you go to the Immigration section of the site, and keyword his name, Lurline, and 1943, you might find something.

V

Virginia Basl

so cool finding this site! my parents, sister & i left San Francisco on the Lurline 26 May 1962 for Honolulu. am interested in finding passenger list, photos, etc.

I

ivanPop

I was looking up information on the S.S Lurline and came across this link. I came to the U.S. from Australia on the first ship of war brides(the Lurline) after the war ended. We left Brisbane on Sept. 11, 1945. I was the youngest onboard - less than a month old. There were manifests available because I've seen the one of that voyage. Someone sent it to me. I believe the Lurline did take troops to Japan, but the war ended before they arrived.
I was s crew member on the Lurline in 1945 and we were bringing Engineering troops from France to Manila. The war ended as we were leaving Ulithi Island after refueling there. We remained in Manila a few days before going to Brisbane to pick up mostly Australian War Brides along with some wounded troops and other's.There were many little babies on board...so I probably saw you back then. I was 18 years old.
Ivan Gottlieb
IvanPop@aol.com.

Kailuakid

Mar 30, 2015
"My grandfather C.A.Berndtson was the captain of the LURLINE " He was also Captain on the SS Malolo in the last three months of 1929 during the 'Round the Pacific Goodwill Tour". The California Pioneers of Santa Clara County is producing a full-length documentary of this cruise and I am searching for first-hand accounts written by those who sailed aboard her. By any chance, did you or any other descendant inherit a diary he may have written during this cruise. Please contact me rickhelin@aol.com in San Jose, CA Any other ephemera saved by him on this specific cruise?

Jeremiah

Nov 25, 2017
I am really surprised that so many people have heard of the LURLINE on different posts.
My grandfather C.A.Berndtson was the captain of the LURLINE from 1932 until 1946.He ran troops all through the war.I'm sure thats why he died of a heart attack 6 months after getting back in april 1946.He was also the Commodore of the Matson fleet.I heard many interesting stories about his adventures from being a day and a half out of Honolulu when Pearl Harbor was attacked to bringing the troops and warbrides back from Australia. MY father was also the purser on the LURLINE pre war and lucky him married the Captains daughter.He also was the Assistant to the President of Matson in the 50's. My brother was the purser on the LURLINE sometime in the early 60's. I was a Ordinary Seaman on the last liner in 1964.So we all have Lurline and Matson in our blood.
If there is anything anybody wonders about that's not on the web. ask away!
I have over 500 photos from the first cruise in 1933 and have researched for ever to find if anyone knows the photographer from the first inaugural cruise. If anyone wants to share any memorabilia I would love to put together a coffee book series as a small USA made book to honor our great country and to share stories over the life of the most popular cruise ship of all time. I live on the Big Island and next year looking at starting this massive endeavor to preserve a cool past. Mahalo to all. Jeremiah Hutchins jeremyhutchins@ hotmail.com

Jun 15, 2018
I have over 500 photos from the first cruise in 1933 and have researched for ever to find if anyone knows the photographer from the first inaugural cruise. If anyone wants to share any memorabilia I would love to put together a coffee book series as a small USA made book to honor our great country and to share stories over the life of the most popular cruise ship of all time. I live on the Big Island and next year looking at starting this massive endeavor to preserve a cool past. Mahalo to all. Jeremiah Hutchins jeremyhutchins@ hotmail.com
"My grandfather C.A.Berndtson was the captain of the LURLINE " He was also Captain on the SS Malolo in the last three months of 1929 during the 'Round the Pacific Goodwill Tour". The California Pioneers of Santa Clara County is producing a full-length documentary of this cruise and I am searching for first-hand accounts written by those who sailed aboard her. By any chance, did you or any other descendant inherit a diary he may have written during this cruise. Please contact me rickhelin@aol.com in San Jose, CA Any other ephemera saved by him on this specific cruise?
I'm writing about Georgia O'Keeffe's LURLINE voyage from Los Angeles to Honolulu in February 1939. I believe her time on board proved a profound effect on her art, particularly her Maui images. Can someone tell me where I can find written descriptions of the ship, interior and exterior, at that time? Also a log of the weather during that voyage, and a dinner menu? Please contact me at gardens@talesoftheearth.com Aloha, Dennis

Jun 15, 2018
This is super. Thank you for this, Aaron. Do you know if number 27 refers to passenger number or to her room number? Also, the two USA listings: one citizenship and the other? Dennis

A

Aaron_2016

I believe the numbers refer to the order on the passenger list as there is no correlation to cabin numbers especially as many couples would have shared a cabin, yet the numbers on the list do not show this. The USA / USA refers to the passenger's nationality and future residence. They had to assume I guess that some of the passengers were on a one-way passage for a new life in a new country.

Lurline2.png

There may be passengers from that voyage still alive today. The famous Hollywood actress Mary Carlisle is still alive today (over 100) and she sailed on the Lurline in 1935. The famous dancer Jean Erdman is also alive today (over 100) and she sailed on the Lurline in 1935 as well. My guess is, there may be some passengers who sailed with Georgia O'Keeffe in 1939 who are alive today. Although it would be difficult to ask them to remember what had occurred during the voyage, unless something dramatic had left a memorable impression of that voyage all those years ago.

Jun 15, 2018
Thank you again, Aaron. It's helpful to see the registry headings. Georgia knew two people on the ship: a friend of a friend of a friend and a Mr. Peter Roe. For the most part, according to her letters, she preferred to be alone. I wonder if she would have even accepted an invitation to dine with the captain. Regardless of her years in the Texas desert, her visits to the Maine ocean shore and, of course, her new residence in New Mexico, this was her first experience of such unbounded space. She relished in it, opening in ways not before.