SS United States For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 1999
Kyle & Jason, yes indeed sad news for the "Big U". I recall Mike Alexander's many years of undaunted efforts to save her. I had hoped the liner would end up on the list of historical monuments/places, and in such manner saved.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

May 27, 2007
quote:

Just like the arts and education, when economic times get tough, preservation of our past gets tossed by the wayside.
Yeah ain't that the simple truth of it!
sad.gif

quote:

Now if the SSUS were the world's largest beer brewery, THEN I'd bet we'd see some weighty preservation going on.
Perhaps?
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I was wondering when NCL was going to bow to the inevitable. One would hope that some group would pull a financial rabbit out of the hat, but even if the times were blistering good...and they aren't...the ship would pose a daunting challange to restore and keep up.

The press release stated
quote:

"The fact that this vessel is our national flagship will
likely motivate a massive public awareness campaign on behalf of a national treasure that should
be preserved for its historic and cultural value."
I wish they were right but I think they're going to be rudely surprised.​

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

I wish they were right but I think they're going to be rudely surprised.

Agreed, Mike. Even though she should be saved for those reasons, it all comes down to 'how much is it going to cost?' Unfortunately, it's way more money than NCL cares/wants to part with.

Now, if she hadn't been neglected for so many years and left to essentially rot...than it might be a different story.​

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
If she was intact with all interiors she might have a chance. Sitting there all these years, neglected and just a shell of her former self, she is just way too expensive for anyone to do anything with. As much as we would want her around, the reality is that it is too costly to keep her.
I think we all knew this was going to happen.
Sad.

Apr 27, 2005
Wow! A sad piece of news, but expected, I guess. She'll get broken up and fed to furnaces in some foreign land, which is a bit metaphoric for what has been allowed to happen in our country. It was a sweet dream for awhile, hoping some miracle would befall the great ship.
And no, using her as a "make work" program for the Obama administration does not make sense, especially after the Nixon administration canned her in '69. Yet, how we shall miss her presence.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Unfortunately, it's way more money than NCL cares/wants to part with.<<

Given the tough economic times, it's probably more then they either have or can afford to take a chance with. It doesn't help matters in the least that they're on shaky financial gound and have been for some time. I'm sure a lot of their market analysts have been crunching the numbers. If the project had been viable, I think they would have done something a long time ago.

Apr 27, 2005
I read the article, Kyle. It's interesting that it ends with "tens of thousands of Americans would like to see her (preserved)". In a country of 230 million citizens, with unemployment and such a wide gap between the mega-wealthy and the middle class, ten thousand voices sounds like a whisper in the Grand Canyon. The images along with the print were rather telling, too. I hadn't realized the corrosion was so advanced.
Rather sad, taken all in all.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

Poor old ship, she really is a ship forgotten by the Sea. She really does now show the effects of long years of neglect.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
A quick note: Received this from Robert Westover, at SSUSF:

"Schuyler Kropf, a reporter from the Charleston Post Courier, is seeking to interview Big U enthusiasts in the South Carolina area. If this meets your description please call or email him at: 843-937-5551 [email protected]".

I hope one of our members, from South Carolina, will be willing to do an interview.

jason stolsek

Jan 19, 2006
This ship is better off being sunk as a reef(and certainly more dignified) than scrapped and turned into Kia parts. If NCL scrapped the NORWAY, which was a solid servicable ship upon which the interiors and systems were fully intact, than certainly they will sell/scrap the UNITED STATES, upon which there are no interiors to speak of and the steam plant probably has more rust in it than, well...rust itself. As we have seen, NCL really, really doesn't want another ship blowing a boiler in public. Rehabbing the machinery and the interiors would be cost-prohibitive and the ship would not be able to generate the revenue needed to justify the expense. It is sad to see an icon go, but unless someone has a dream and a ton of cash, this ship is doomed. Honestly, I think the SSUS conservancy would be better served campaigning for the ship to be sunk in deep water as a habitat. It is more dignified than scrapping because, like the TITANIC, the ship would still exist in it's element. it's a better end for it, I would think.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
James, the QE2 went for approx 50 million pounds, which at the time of it's sale was apprxo $100 million USD

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Geesh.<<

No kidding, and with the economy in a shambles right now, it would take nothing short of a miracle to raise the money. Assuming the conservancy could pull it off, one would have to wonder how they would fund the restoration. As gutted as the ship is, they'ed be starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.