SS United States The Big U

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2001
I only noted a few passing words on this once great ship. I haven't seen any new updates on her, but I thought it was appropriate to place her in this message area and bring some attention her way.

www.ss-united-states.com

I'd love to see her sitting next to the Queen Mary, but glad that she still exists since she has some great accomplishments to her name. Has anyone been there lately and seen her?

She still is for sale. (sigh) I suppose I will keep playing the lottery! :)

Colleen

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've been into this site a few times. If memory serves, there are some links on the Maritime Matters page to the site as well. This includes a photo tour of the ship...ah...such as what's left of her. The hull is in pretty decent shape from what I understand, but the working spaces and accommadations have been pretty well gutted out. Not much of a surprise when you think about it as laid up ships are frequently used a source of spare parts and equipment.

Personally, I think Mr. Gibbs greatest acheivement deserves far better then that.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jul 14, 2000
RESTORE THE SS UNITED STATES!!!
Yes, given the attacks on this country last week, what better time to restore this ship. Let it be a new world-wide symbol of this nation's pride in itself, and what we stand for. Let the SS UNITED STATES be returned to her former glory and sailed into New York harbor on July the 4th, 2003 with a US flag the size of a football field flying from her top deck. Dock her along Battery Park and turn her into a national monument to our victory over global terrorism. Her unveiling can coincide with the grand opening of the New World Trade Center Towers, each over 200 stories tall!!
Hooray for the good ole' U. S. of A.!!!

Yuri

May 8, 2001
Yuri. Your brilliant idea sent chills through me! Put her out near The Statue of Liberty and have it seen with Empire state building as well. Let them stand as an encouragement and reminder, as testaments of power, stability, stregnth, courage and time.
U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

May 8, 2001
Yuri. If you are out there, our thoughts have been heard and echoed. Let's see just how far we can get with it! She still needs help!
Colleen

R

Robert W. Collier

This email reprinted to the Encyclpedia Titanica board with the acknowledgement of it's intent directly from the owner, Robert Hudson Westover, Chairman of the SS United States Foundation. (Copy sent to Phil Hind 01-02-02)
#################################################

Chairman's Address: SSUSF 2001 Year End Report

Never think that a group of sincere committed citizens can't change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Meed.

Dear Friends and Supporters,

Last year was a resounding success for the SS United States Foundation and since September 11th, our efforts to Save the United States have taken on an all together more focused resolve. The horrific tragedy that engulfed our nation has changed history and in the process has driven home what it means to be Americans.  The terrorist that reeked such havoc on our nation not only brutally murdered thousands of innocent people, they also attempted to permanently demoralize us by taking--with those who perished--irreplaceable symbols of what we stand for as a country.

We must remind our fellow Americans--in the reawakening of our pride and patriotism, not to forget our Queen of the Seas, the SS United States.  For 50 years, the Big U has represented American pride, strength, ingenuity and prowess.  We must work with extreme diligence to get our message to our friends and neighbors: The SS United States belongs to all of us. 

Charitable giving has dropped significantly throughout the nation and we, like other non-profits, have seen a dramatic decrease in funding.  We are turning to you for support at this critical time.  Investing in the success of this Foundation will be an investment in all that America stands for?embodied so dramatically in the SS United States.

I can think of nothing more wonderful for New York City (and our nation) then to have our greatest ship completely restored and opened for all to tour.  Once referred to as New York City's 'Crown Jewel on the Hudson River' the SS United States could once again be a waterfront showstopper and the gleaming crown of Manhattan. 

Unlike so many other non-profit organizations that slowed operations last year, we forging ahead with stern resolve:

Last year newspaper articles and editorials appeared in publications across the country. These publications included Newsday (over one million readers), Preservation Magazine, (over one million readers) The Philadelphia Inquirer (Sunday Edition?one million readers), Philadelphia Magazine (our first cover story!) and The Orlando Sentinel (Sunday Edition).  This amount of media impressions, if charged to a PR firm, would be in the half million-dollar price range!

The foundation?s all-important world famous website www.ssunitedstates.org , designed and operated by Vice Chairman Paul Robinson, increased its hits last year and brought many new supporters to our rescue effort.  

Our grassroots initiative lead by Richard April began to show results as members of Congress expressed support for our efforts to save the SSUS.

Thanks to the hard work of Jeff Henry, Jeff Kuwait and Carmen Balsamo in Philadelphia, the 4th Annual Meeting was a huge success generating media broadcasts my ABC, NBC and CBS not to mention Philadelphia?s largest radio talk show (Philadelphia?s is the 5th largest media broadcast market in the nation).

With 2002 before us, the 50th Anniversary year of the launching and undefeated record breaking crossing on the North Atlantic of the SS United States, we are moving ahead with bold plans to make this the year we Bring Home the SS United States to New York City!

Please take time to show your confidence in the SS United States Foundation by sending in your membership dues for 2002 or a donation to the address below. (All donations are tax deductible and can be made online at www.ssunitedstates.org ) Together, we will Save the United States.

Sincerely,

Robert Hudson Westover
Chairman
SS United States Foundation
P.O. Box 853
Washington DC 20044
703-625-3037

Jul 14, 2000
I can think of no greater cause or destination for the SS United States than to be re-located to New York as a glorious symbol of national pride.

Or, if that idea proves unlikely, let her join our Navy as a mobile R & R vessel for our troops abroad. Today our armed forces are spending years stationed in far away countries as peace keepers and deterents to the forces of evil. What better way to serve them a little taste of home than giving our soldiers a floating palace where they can receive a much needed reminder of all the good things at home, for which they so tirelessly struggle.

Yuri

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I would love to do anything I can to help the cause. As my schedule permits of course.

Erik

May 8, 2001
BAD NEWS. This just came across the mail today. The fate hangs in the balance now...........

Dear Friends and Supporters:

It is with great sadness that I must report the death of Edward A. Cantor, the owner of the SS United States.  Mr. Cantor died Tuesday night.  His ownership of the national flagship was at times controversial, but I know he did love his ship and wanted her to be saved for all American's to enjoy.  He rescued the great vessel from those who wanted her scrapped and brought her back to these waters with his own money.  He will hold a unique and irreplaceable place in the history of the SS United States. Please visit George Brown's Website at http://ssunitedstatesdoc.com for more details.

Robert Hudson Westover
Chairman
Washington DC

D

Deleted member 173198

Colleen!

I am so sorry to hear about the death of Edward. Isn't it strange, I was only communicating with him a few weeks ago and exchanging the up-to-date and latest news about Southampton. His memory never faulter on anything, I was so shocked at the level of his knowledge he still remembers giving some of the young lasses a dance in the Ballroom at the old Royal Prier (Southampton). When I told him that fire swept through this famous landmark back in 1992, he really was upset and sadden at learning about this great loss to Southampton.

I will always hold special memories about Edward and if there's anyway Colleen you can send my condolences to his immediate family, then please do so on my behalf.

Cheers and best wishes Colleen, and I sympathize with your feelings!

Andrew W.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Colleen. I caught this one a couple of days ago on Maritime Matters. This doesn't bode well for the United States. I'm hoping somebody can step up to the plate and give this ship a fighting chance at something more dignified then the shipbreakers yard.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

C

Catherine Stuart

Hi...:)

I'm fairly new to this board so I didn't see this thread before... I'm also a big fan of the United States. I live just outside of Philadelphia, too... A few years ago, some friends and family took a boat ride up the Delaware river and motored into her pier.... It was such an awesome site.... I got to touch her rusted old sides...
If I can find the pictures, I'll upload them to my site and post them. :) Awww, heck... I may just have to take some new ones... ;-)

Poor old girl..... :-\

Here are some links to other SS United States sites. (Thanks for the links too, Colleen...:) )I HAD one bookmarked on another computer with a nifty little QTVR movie of different sections of her but alas, I can't seem to find it now...*grumble*.... has anyone seen such a site?

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/links.htm

Catherine

May 8, 2001
I came across a name of "Gibbs" today, and it opened up a sad, chapter of this ship. I was very shocked to learn WHY the ship had to have the interior completely stripped, and sickened to find that she was completely intact until 1984 when Gibbs was forced to sell off parts of the ship due to costs. Here are a few pages for those who weren't aware of this side of the story. (like myself).

http://www.cybercomm.net/~lynn/memorial.html

http://www.cybercomm.net/~lynn/wf_gibbs.html

By the way, Gibbs was a remarkable man!

D

Denise Rajauski

Hello all
happy.gif

This is my first post to one of the message boards, although since discovering Encyclopedia Titanica a couple of weeks ago I have been wallowing in it, and just having a marvelous time.

My interst in the great liners stems from my earliest childhood, when I sat listening wide-eyed as friends of my parents described their return from their honeymoon-on the Andrea Doria. It made a huge impression, as you can well imagine.

I'm off the point, sorry. I just wanted to say that I live in South Philadelphia, just a few blocks away from the SS United States. I can see her funnels from my bedroom window. I actually drove past her earlier tonight. She is indeed a sorry sight in her current state, although remnants of the showpiece she once was remain. I still find her beautiful, although a visit I made to her when she was first berthed here brought me to tears.

Denise

May 8, 2001
Let me be the first to welcome you to Titanica, Denise. Since you are in the city where the SSUS is located, if you hear any news about her, please remember us and post it. Many of us have an interest in all liners, and news and updates are an important part.
I live on the West coast and get to see the Queen Mary, but can't say I can see any funnels from my house.
Once again, welcome aboard!
Colleen

D

Denise Rajauski

Thanks for the welcome, Colleen.
happy.gif
I'm enjoying myself immensely.

For a long time, talk was that the United States was supposed to be the showpiece of a revitalized Philadelphia waterfront, which has been an ongoing thing here for many years. Supposedly, the old Naval Base was to be converted to luxury homes, convention facilities, entertainment, etc. This seems not to be happening now, and nobody really knows what to do with this area. There was great hope when Kvaerner (sp?) took over the Navy Yard and announced plans to build a lot of new ships there, but they seem to have backed off this promise now.

To tell the absolute truth, I fear the United States is in great danger of going to the scrapyard, she has deteriorated so much in the years she's spent here. There was talk of city money going to help refurbish her, but now it seems that money is going to go to the SS Olympia instead (a good thing, actually), and also to acquiring and restoring the immigrant ship "Mary Shelbourne" for the new Irish Famine memorial project.

So, while many exciting things are in store for the Philadelphia waterfront, I fear it comes at the United States' expense.
sad.gif

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Denise

May 8, 2001
For what it is worth. If Titanic can get a supporter of Clorox, I guess this supporter is just as fitting for the SSUS.
==================== ==================== =======

Dear Friends and
Supporters;

It pleases me to announce that Miss United States of America, Rachel Gage, will be attending the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the S.S. United States' maiden voyage to be held this July 6th and 7th on board the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif.  A student at UCLA, Ms. Gage, the 2002 reigning Miss USA, is a great fan of the maritime and wants to help out in other capacities as well.

"My grandmother came to America for the first time on the Queen Mary that is docked nearby in Long Beach.  And, I have traveled on board many ships myself.  I actually won my title aboard a cruise ship," Ms. Gage said.

Rachel's expanded role will be introduced in series of media alerts to released later this week.

I hope to see all of you at the celebration this July 6th and 7th as well.  Reservations are still being taken for this once in a lifetime event, and an invitation can be downloaded off the SS United States Foundation's Web site at http://ssunitedstate s.org

Remember, the event is open to the public!  (A list of other luminaries attending the event will follow in the coming weeks.)

Sincerely,

Robert Hudson Westover
Chairman
Washington DC

C

Catherine Stuart

I hope it's ok that I bump this thread...? *hopeful*

I have a dear friend visiting the US for a while and one of his 'must-see' activities was the SS United States. Since I live near Philly, it was easy enough to do.... ;-) So I thought I'd post two views of her in her poor rusted condition.... this was as close as I was allowed as there is a big chain link fence around the pier.... and lots of union dock workers that yell if you try and sneak in to take a piccie.....erm.... not... that *I*....tried...um..... *G*....

Anyway..... I did reduce the size a bit for the posting but they're still good size.... and also in png format to decrease jpg compression. Enjoy.
:)

http://jerle.mystfans.com/images/BigU1.png

http://jerle.mystfans.com/images/BigU2.png

If anyone wants the bigger versions, let me know.... I can upload them or email them to you.

May 8, 2001
Thank you Catherine. Yes, she is getting pretty tired looking. The Queen Mary just had a large gathering of supporters for the SSUS and they unveiled a tribute and awareness program for the fate of her, as a permanent display I believe. I was unable to attend the gathering, but will have to tour QM again and see what they did.
Have there been any words on the SSUS since the owner died and left no will for her? The foundation has continued and so has support, but I am not sure of who "owns" her now.
Thanks again!
Colleen

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
My brother lives in Haddon Heights, NJ, and he went over to where the SSUS was docked with his camera to try to get some close up shots, but the security guard ran him off before he could get anything useful.
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.