SS United States The Big U

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catherine Stuart

Colleen ~ I'll ask someone who may know more about the current ownership info.... but probably doesn't know more than we do... I'll check, though....

Tracy ~ I think we got lucky due to it being a hot Saturday and the dockworkers didn't feel like getting off their chairs.... my friend was a bit more intrepid than I..... ;-) Hopefully he'll send me the pix once he's gotten them off his camera and I can post them as well.... my pix were taken using zoom and placing the lens between the chain links.... bleh....

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I thought the pictures were very good, Catherine. I could see the ship well enough to see that the poor thing needs a lot of attention. I certain hope some financial backers are found who will want to return this ship to good shape.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
If I ever won the Lotto, I would probably purchase and head up the restoration of the Big U.

If only dreams came true.

Erik

May 8, 2001
alert.gif
RED ALERT!! This just came in. Plans for the SSUS now that the owner has passed away is SCRAPPING HER!! Anyone in the area, PLEASE keep us posted!

===============================================
It has been confirmed that Cantor Company (formally Cantor Affiliated Interests) is seeking to sell the SS United States for scrap!  I have spoken to the ship scrapping broker in New York City assigned to find a buyer and he has confirmed that Cantor Company is indeed seeking a scrapping firm to buy and decimate the United States. Additionally, it was confirmed by an anonymous source at Cantor Company. If something is not done soon, one of the proudest of all our nation's engineering and architectural feats will meet a tragic fate--and by the hands of our fellow Americans.  No terrorist group could plan a more fitting destruction of the ship that bears our country's name. 

Call To Action: 
Our plan of action is being decided upon tonight by the board of directors.  What you can do is immediately contact your Congressman, Senator and the White House from the this link http://www.ssunitedstates.org/howtohelp.htm  and tell them that you will not stand to see one of the greatest American treasures lost forever! 
A protest is being planned in Philadelphia--more details to follow
Media sources and contacts built over the years are being alerted
The SS United States scrap value I was told today is $2.5 million. The board of directors is considering starting an escrow fund for the purchase of the ship--more details to follow
Call your local newspapers and tv/radio stations--spread the news--sign up new members ASAP
If we unite as one grassroots army of thousands, the fate of the United States will not be razor blades, aluminum cans or bowling trophies.  We knew this day would come when we would be called to put aside whatever else was happening in our lives and commit to save what many consider to be a modern wonder of the world. The energy it will take from all of us in the next few months to save this ship will be worth it when decades from now, school children look up at the magnificent structure of the SS United States and marvel at what great things we as a nation--as one people--have accomplished.  WE WILL SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Robert Hudson Westover
Chairman
SS United States Foundation
Washington DC
==============================================
:-(

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I was just going to post something on the New Age thread regarding this. It is unfortunate. I would be willing to go and give her a look (survey wise) free of charge if anybody interested would desire it. I think that is about all I could do to help.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
We can try an effort at a mailing/e-mail campeign, but I'm not optimistic at it's chances for success. While the hull may be in fairly decent shape, the ship has been largely gutted of her appointments, boats, etc. Pretty much all that remains is the machinary.

A project such as this would involve drydocking to do any needed repairs and preservation, and then there would be the matter of refurbishing the public rooms, staterooms, and the bridge which is little more now then an empty space with all the equipment gone.

Were talking here of an effort which would take tens, if not hundreds of millions to accomplish. If history to date is any indication, I think we can forget government intervention of any kind. The vessel is privately owned for one thing, and for another, only three ships that I know of...the USS Constitution, USS Nautilus, and USS Barry...have been preserved by public money. Every other ship that has been preserved has been by way of private interests.

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but if the record to date is any indication, the SS United States days are numbered and counting down.

About the only cause for hope is that scrapping ships is such an expensive effort that propective buyers may not be eager to take it on. This may buy the foundation the time it needs to save the ship.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I am not so sure that it would survive a tow to the Indian breakers which would surely love the extra work and steel.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Has a recent survey even been accomplished on the hull?

After years of obvious neglect, I doubt the results would give much room for confidence. Seems to me they would get her as far as the Cape of Good Hope, then she would go join any number of unfortunate ships that tried it and didn't make it.

Jun 10, 1999
Hello:

If there is any hope for our beloved S.S.U.S., it is with the undaunted efforts of Mike Alexander.
I do belong to his mailing list, and have some disillusion thought that yes perhaps all hope is lost. I have not received an update of late.

Mr. Alexander has surely *gone the distance*, more than can be expected of a single
person, and I praise him for that.

I feel that the only hope for "Big U" is with the endagered historical places society. Surely she is worth saving if only for the name/homeport that once so proudly emblazoned her hull.

To this date I have met two gentleman, who as youth sailed on her. Both, perhaps trying to
reclaim a memory...one I met at a hobby store, purchasing the larger model kit, the other as I mentioned just recently, shared his 1954 1st class passenger list with me, pointing out his five family members. Just two days ago he informed me he is going to find the on-board *slides* from the voyage and have some prints made for me...can't wait :)

Now what if JAMES CAMERON became salvor in possesion of TITANIC, bought S.S.U.S., renovated her cabins in TITANIC (Edwardian) fashion, offered *two for one* dives (With an extra ET discount) to the TITANIC. Ken Marschall or Don Lynch (I hear Don does'nt like those tiny spheres...;-) as your MIR pilot/tour guide...and as an extra bonus SAVE-ON drugs has an TITANIC enthusiam *lifetime* print discount...

...like I said I am an optimist...;-)

Michael A. Cundiff
Pray for the UNITED STATES and the boat too...

R

Robert W. Collier

I have recieved word back from one of my congressman already and have put him in contact with the Save the United States Foundation. Let's keep up the work and save our ship. I too, may be an optimist, but I believe we may have a fighting chance.
Respectfully,
Robert W. Collier

R

Robert W. Collier

Eric,
I have written letters to President Bush, the Mayor and City Council of Long Beach, Senators Fienstien and Boxer, and my representative, Jerry Lewis, 40th District California. I have the address also for representative Randy "Duke" Cunningham, 51st District California and I'll be writing him this week. It was Lewis who wrote back, requesting more information so he could follow up. Cunningham was the Navy's first "Ace" in Vietnam, and went on later to Command the "Enemy" forces at Fighter Weapons School "Top Gun" in San Diego. I even have written a letter to Adam West's Batman fan site. What could be better than the headlines reading, "Batman Saves the United States"?
smile.gif

Respectfully,
Robert W. Collier

C

Christopher Henry

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the ET --- but

A few weeks ago, I too wrote letters to some people.

Such as---

President Bush
happy.gif

Norman Mineta (DOT)
happy.gif

AND
My representative--

Keep at it guys
happy.gif

The more people that know about the Big-U, the more people will help her!!!

Dec 24, 1997
Hi Don't know if this thread still active or not but if so I thought you might like a copy of what Dear S/S United States supporters,

Recently, NCL sent a project team to Philadelphia to conduct an extensive technical review of the venerable ship. We would like to report that she is in good shape and we are taking very good care of her. We have also cataloged over a hundred boxes of blueprints that we received from the previous owners. Although not a complete set, the drawings will be of real help to our technical team with their work.

When we announced the purchase of the S/S United States in April last year, we talked about her potential to become a state-of-the-art modern cruise ship in our U.S. Flagged fleet. We also talked about the fact that the purchase and restoration of the vessel would be a long-term project as we focused on Project America and our work to restore a new U.S. flag operation to the cruise industry. We intend to do our part to return the U.S. maritime industry to the greatness it once enjoyed.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is a huge task. For example, without a single U.S. flagged oceangoing cruise ship presently in operation, there is no trained base of American crewmembers to tap, so we must find them and train them all. We have also invested millions of dollars to start building a new brand, NCL America, and the infrastructure that is required for a U.S. flag operation. In addition, hundreds of millions of dollars are being invested in building our initial U.S. flagged cruise ships.

Although we are well under way in our endeavor, we have experienced a setback as the first of the Project America vessels, Pride of America, has been delayed. As some of you may know, the vessel listed 15 degrees while docked at her shipyard and took on water up to three decks in a heavy windstorm in January. The ship, which was slated to begin cruising on July 4th in Hawai`i, was recently refloated and we are working with the shipyard to assess damages and determine a new delivery date for that ship.

As you can imagine, this has been a hurdle in the process, but we will not be deterred from launching our U.S. Flag operation this year and ensuring the continued employment of the more than 1,000 U.S. seafarers we have already hired. Accordingly, we have announced the early introduction of the U.S. flagged ship, Pride of Aloha, to take over Pride of America's itinerary and to begin service in July.

Only with the success of these U.S. flagged ships in Hawai`i and our new U.S. flag operation will we be able to succeed with the even more complex challenge of bringing back the S/S United States.

The outpouring of goodwill from many of you on Pride of America and our purchase of the S/S United States is wonderful, and we salute the S/S United States Foundation for the work done over the decades to preserve the legacy of this amazing ship.

I also wanted to let you know that very soon we will begin selling the "S/S United States Worlds Fastest Ship" aboard our entire fleet. The publisher will continue to donate a portion of the proceeds to the Foundation.

The S/S United States has a great maritime heritage, and we believe that she has a great maritime future as well. We urge you to join with us in supporting the return of U.S. flag passenger/cruise ships to the oceans of the world.

The love for the S/S United States is real. To you, she has always been more than a steel hull. And better than anybody, you know this ship's past and its potential. And we know it too.

Warm regards,

Susan Robison,

Director, Public Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 8:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Information

In hopes that you NCL and the Big "U" work it all out. Where could I get latest information and future plans. I do maritime lectures and like positive facts to be able to present FACTS not rumors. I have been doing a 3 part "Titanic" lecture series on board Cunards "QE2" for over ten years once or twice a year but do get lots of questions about other ships and a large number of the relate to the "S.S. United States" and her future. In fact I am planning to put together in the future a 3 part presentation about the ship. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for any considerations or courtesies you may wish to extend in this regard
Gratefully yours,'
Jon W. Hollis

Status
Not open for further replies.