SS United States: What's the latest news?

Jan 7, 2002
Anyone know the latest news, if any, on the future of the SS United States?

I feel she should be sunk and made into an artificial reef.

tarn Stephanos

R

Robert W. Collier

According to the foundation's website, the owner's expect to have an offer for the ship on the table within 120 days, and there are no plans for scrapping as of today. As for sinking the Big U, no, we have already lost too much of our maritime history. Other vessels with less notoriety or history could fill that role.
Respectfully,
Robert W. Collier

May 8, 2001
>>>I feel she should be sunk and made into an artificial reef.<<<
I am sure that Barbara Jo Allen, A.K.A. the "Blue Ribbon baby", born July 8, 1952 on the Maiden voyage of the SS United States would disagree strongly with your sentiments of sinking her birthplace.

Jun 10, 1999
A source of my previous mention who also sailed on S.S.U.S. as a ten-year old (But he won't part with his cherished 1st class memento :) told me he heard on *weird* news of the world of a proposal to make the "Big-U" into a homeles shelter.

Bear in mind that *weird* news of the world is on the level...I'm just not sure if the folks seeking out this *weird* news are on the level ;-)

Imagine the disrespect "Big-U" would be forced to endure if this plan were to be of fruition?

Michael Cundiff
USA

Jun 10, 1999
BTW...I opt that the US refect on the Falkland campaign, whereupon a lady of peacetime, the QE-II rendered her services. Let's be grateful that the Argentine Skyhawk and Super Etenard did'nt *hit home* with an Exocet missle. As we saw with numerous other British vessels.

I relize that the US dominates air suppiority, which in itself reduces battlefield casualties, but perhaps a war of a different kind will come wicked this way...and a steadfast lady of old with an untarnished legacy could lend a hand!

Also...in the not so distant future, you as a tourist, or even myself as a resident can take the vintage steam locomotive from the McKay House (VC) into Carson City. They are finding ways to save our heraled trains...

...will they find a way to save our ship???

Michael Cundiff
USA

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Michael,

One would hope so. The unfortunate fact is she is just a empty shell of a once grand lady. Who would be willing to step up and pay the cost to bring her back to her former glory??

May 8, 2001
Michael. A Homeless shelter??? That one has yet to have come across the SSUS updates. (Suspiciously asking...) How would it be funded? Who would pay to fit it out as a shelter? Where would it be proposed to dock? How would the organization remain afloat with all the known expenses?
RE: The train from Carson to Virginia City. VERY glad to see that the plans are still in effect. Talking to the engineers back in 1998, getting a ride to Goldhill and actually getting to ride in the cab, they were excitedly talking about it; #1 to relieve some of the vehicle traffic the little town gets and can't handle, #2, because it is the original run, #3, because the tourists (and those with a historical interest) would love it. It really is a scenic route and will be a beautiful ride! Let's hope they work somehow in conjunction with the Nevada state Railroad Museum, because to be honest with you, together they would be an awesome stop for train buffs.
We have been anxious to go back and see if it was in progress. Do you have any idea when it is to be completed? Thanks for the good news!

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
There has been a lot of talk of taking former liners and having a major city (like New York) fund it's refurbishment for use as a homeless shelter. Some of the info can be found at www.maritimematters.com but there is no direct reference to SSUS. The plans I mention are for recently (vessels still retaining all of there machinery in working order and passenger accomdations) decommissioned vessels or vessels taken out of service.

The only legitimate discussion I have heard (in person) on the SSUS is to have her scrapped. If I had a couple of billion dollars to spend I would probably make the SSUS a musem in which I would live on, and it would operate much like any ship difference being the ship isn't underway.

T

Timothy Brandsoy

Is there a tour of the SS United States? Can an appointment be arranged? My other passion, cars, (Mercury Cougars to be specific) is going to have a National Cougar Meet at a hotel nearby and the SS US was mentioned as a sight worth seeing. The fact that the SS US isn't restored wouldn't probably bother us, we're used to seeing the "before" photos ;-)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Anyone who wants to take a photographic tour of the United States as she is today, go HERE

Timothy, to the best of my knowladge, there are no tours being offered of this ship today, and I don't see it as being very likely in the near future. There isn't really a lot to see as the ship has been gutted out to a shell of what she once was.

Dave Moran

Apr 23, 2002
Magnificent... thank you.

I suspect that, if she is such a mess externally, internally she must be in a hell of a state ... perhaps that is why the dockers wouldn't let you near her ? Mind you, you got close enough to take some really nice photos.

Jun 10, 1999
Colleen:

Like I said I heard the *weird news* via a client who sailed on S.S.U.S. I have no idea of the particulars.

Yes indeed, the train from V.C. to C.C. is making definate headway. Of late they have secured a bridge, which will mark the Hwy. 50. overpass.

STEAM ON...STEAM ON!!

Michael A. Cundif
USA

Jul 11, 2001
Jeremy writes: "Yes, NCL has picked her up...."

Excellent! Does anybody know where NCL took her? Perhaps we can someone near to get some spy photos?
happy.gif

Dave

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I live in Philadelphia, and I would have heard if she was picked up. The weather is extremely cold just now, but perhaps later in the week I will go and look for myself. I'll let you know.

Deborah Kogan

Jan 29, 2003
I made a special trip down to South Philadelphia to check and see if the United States is still there. As I went down Snyder Avenue towards Delaware Avenue, looming up was.... the United States! Although rusting in spots, and her red, white and blue funnels fading with time, she is still beautiful. I noticed that there are funnel caps on... I viewed the ship from behind a chain link fence, about a half block away. I imagined people walking her decks... I hope NCL rehabs her, and I have a chance to travel on the ship. Anyone living in the Philadelphia area should see the ship before it goes. The ship is visible from the Benjamin Franklin Bridge (looking south- way in the distance), from the Walt Whitman Bridge (four blocks to the north), and from Route I95 (about 4 blocks to the east).

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Deborah! Thanks for following up on that. I sure hope NCL hasn't changed their minds. The SS United States has such nice lines. It would be a thrill to see her back in service.

David
happy.gif