SS United States: What's the latest news?

WSFHunter

Jan 2, 2019
The SS United States Conservancy website new section announced that on the 10th of December 2018 that it had reached an agreement with Commercial Real estate firm RXR Reality in order to look into options for redeveloping the ship.

The agreement is still in it's early stages. But from the report it appeared the SS United States could be on it's
way to being restored to being a water front development and shipboard museum.

Fingers crossed they can be successful.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
After the RXR Realty deal for the SS United States was signed in December, I feel skeptical about the deal since previous deals by other companies for the SS United States have failed. From what I understand, RXR plans on morning the ship as a static attraction in someplace like New York City.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
The SS Rotterdam managed to be converted into a hotel and museum ship for use in her namesake city in the 2000's despite the post 9/11 economic downturn, the Great Recession, delays, and huge cost overruns. The SS Rotterdam has become a successful hotel and tourist attraction for the City of Rotterdam despite nearly bankrupting the housing foundation that converted the ship. Hopefully, RXR Realty will be able to do the same with the SS United States despite the coronavirus pandemic and the recession that is currently taking place. I also hope the SS United States will become successful wherever she is berthed in spite of all this.