St Patrick's Day in South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 1998
Its a done deal. We'll have our gathering at the Summit Club in Columbia, South Carolina on St. Patrick's Day, March 17th, and dinner will be at 7:00 P.M. If anyone wants to meet and visit prior to that, I'm sure we can arrange it. As stated before, you don't have to be from the area to join us (I think Herbold intends to fly in from California)--but space will be limited to 25 people (about 15 expressed genuine interest and spouses/significant others will be welcome up to the 25 limit) so I need to know who is coming as soon as possible. I'm footing the bill for the dinner so nobody needs to pay anything up front or put down a deposit. All you need to do is show up. Dress is anywhere from "Business Casual" to Coat/Tie--no jeans. We'll have our own private meeting room and I assure you it is a fine location and the food is great. Once you let me know you plan to attend, I'll send further details privately and also a list of suitable hotels/motels of varying price ranges. Feel free to contact me at:

[email protected]

with any questions.

Looking forward to seeing old friends again and meeting others for the first time.

Phil

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Phil:
Thanks very much for all the arrangements. Sounds like a great event. Made my reservations already and am excited about being part of "The Titanic 25".
(One New Years resolution down. One to go.)
Mike Herbold

Mar 10, 1998
We're up to 12 sures and 3 maybes just since posting this about 6P.M. Eastern Time. I think we'll have a good time.

Phil

K

Karen Sweigart

I want to talk to my husband, but it turns out I have a 4-day weekend over St. Patricks' day. I just checked Mapquest and that would be a 10 hour drive for us(I don't fly anymore), but I'd really like to put faces to the names I see on the screen. I will let you know within the next 2 days whether we will make it.

Thanks, Karen

K

Karen Sweigart

Is there a nice, cheap hotel near or in Columbia?? I think if I can convince my husband the trip won't be too expensive, we might be able to make it. Thanks

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Karen, with or without a rat as the bellhop?

Just kidding! (Hee hee.)

Have you tried asking AAA or a local travel agency? If not, you might try Expedia.com or surf for some local websites.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 10, 1998
Karen,
Columbia is a fairly large city with motels/hotels of all sizes and shapes. Let me know what "cheap" means and I'll send you a list of possibilities. I think there are Knight's Inn motels that run about $30 per night, Red Roof Inn that runs more like $45-50 and Marriott Courtyard that is about $75. You can let me know privately what price range you're looking for and I'll get you a list.

[email protected]

Phil

K

Karen Sweigart

I'm still trying to talk my husband into going. He always has to be sensible and worry about money right away. $30 per night would be great though. I'll check out the Knights Inn motel. I found a great website last night with all kinds of hotels, etc. in Columbia. Thanks Karen.

P.S. Michael, I definitely don't want rats and no roaches either.

K

Karen Sweigart

Ok, my husband and I talked about it and we won't be making it this time around. Here's hoping if you do it again next year we'll be able to make it. South Carolina is on our list of places to visit. Thanks, Karen.

Mar 10, 1998
Karen,
Sorry you can't make it this time. Right now it looks like we'll have representatives from at least 7 states and possibly even one foreign country--I'm sort of amazed at who has signed up! Still have 8 places left to fill.

Phillip

K

Karen Sweigart

Wow, that's great! I'm sad I'm going to miss it. Take pics and post them then I can see everyone. Karen
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hope my pony tail and beard doesn't break the camera lens...or frighten the management. I don't really look as bad as my "Ten Most Armed and Dangerous" poster would have anyone beleive. Honest!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 13, 1999
$30 per night for an hotel room! Just how do you Americans do it? In the UK we would have to pay that to park in the hotel car park!
Anyway, have a great time but keep an eye on Phil Gowan - he can get very mean after the first sherry!

Geoff

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Geoff, our taxes aren't quite as bad as what you have to deal with on your side of the pond...eh...yet.

We have some clowns who are suggesting that our nation as a whole adopt the Value Added Tax. Good thing they didn't meet me when I was still active in the Navy. I would have made the buggers walk the plank!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 10, 1998
Geoff--how do you know that? I've never yet had the first Sherry. So experientially, not even I am sure what I'd be like :). Now after the first Karen--well, it wasn't a good idea to be around me. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.