Stairs and railings on deck.

Andrew R.

Mar 12, 2019
Is there any information regarding what color(s) the stairs on deck were? It seems the stairs in some of the photos I’ve seen have black steps and risers with white rails. I have also seen some that have black rails. Perhaps lblack rails indicate crew only areas ? I have also seen the steps and risers depicted as being brown.

May 3, 2005
Wouldn't most, if not all of the stairs in the passenger areas be made of varnished wood and those in the crews areas be made of metal and painted black ?
By the way, wouldn't they be '' ladders " in the crews areas ?

Andrew R.

Mar 12, 2019
I’m sure most of the stairs are for passenger areas. I was referring to the stairs leading to the compass platform. I have seen the shorter stair sets leading up to the deck in between funnels one and two depicted as having black railings. . I have also seen ladders painted black one others white. As for passenger area stairs on deck, I was of the impression that the risers on the sides were made of steel, and that the stairs were wood with some sort of anti-skid on top. The railings as I understand them or mounted in brackets on the side of the risers and may have been removable.

Athlen

Apr 14, 2012
This may help: Titanic Paint and Color Reference

It's the last snapshot of the Titanic Research and Modeling Association's color guide. You can also find two books by Peter Davies-Garner, "RMS Titanic: A Modelmaker's Manual" and "Titanic and Her Sisters, Olympic and Britannic". The former is much longer. These books can be bought from the usual places, and they're available on Scribd with a subscription. And, of course, "Titanic: The Ship Magnificent" has lots of detail about the paint scheme.

Andrew R.

Mar 12, 2019
Thanks so much for the help. It seems to be hard to find TRMA info . I’ve stumbled onto a few articles. I have DaviesGarner’s book which actually prompted me to start this initial post. Looks like I’m heading back to the bookstore. Thanks again.