Stanley Lord

Roger Burgess

Nov 3, 2012
I am 70, and was raised in Wallasey. In the 1950's or 60's I read a library book setting out the case for Captain Lord's innocence, and it might have even been written by him. If the book still exists, it would be in the Central Library in Wallasey - now part of Wirral Borough Council. It could throw some light on the controversy, but I have never heard of the book since those days. Isn't it interesting that Leyland Line got rid of Captain Stanley Lord? Wasn't Leyland Line part of International Mercantile Marine, as was White Star Line, and all more or less controlled by the American financier, JP Morgan?

Denizensmith

Dec 4, 2012
It is sad that such a man was involved in a conspiracy to sink the Olympic (renamed the Titanic) for an insurance scam. His role was to be a saviour but it all went horribly wrong costing the lives of 1502 passengers. Kazz

Corinne

Feb 14, 2014
You have your facts wrong. The White Star Line company had three "Olympic class liners." They were the Titanic, the Olympic and Britannic. The Olympic sailed before the Titanic and there was never any renaming of the ships. There also never an insurance scam to sink the Titanic.

Kestral54

Jul 16, 2014
Actually, Britannic was originally to be named Gigantic, but changed to Britannic for fear of being too closely associated with the "size name" of Titanic.

Sep 3, 2015
He was innocent, it was all actually because of an optical illusion since they were right on the verge of the Labrador current. In 2012 a historian named Tim Molten finally found out what actually happened. Its all really interesting, watch "Titanic's Final Mystery". You will feel so bad for Captain Lord.