Stars in the sky that April 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

larry quinn

Hello,
First time posting,long time lurking. I would
apreciate it if someone could tell me what constelations were visable the night of the sinking. Thanks

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Larry,

I'm not sure, but possibly the Big Dipper for starters.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

L

larry quinn

Hi Jason
Thanks for the quick response. The reason im asking is that im working on a Titanic animation and i would like to get the background reasonbly acurate. Larry

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Hi Larry, Hi Jason,

I'm also an Astronomy enthusiast, so I think I can help you.

Considering the following information I calculated the situtation of the sky :

1. Location - 49.56.49 W, 41.43.32 N. (center of boiler field)
2. Heading - North
3. Time - 05:20 am GMT

What can you see ?

* Being at 41.43.32 N, the Pole Star is 41° above the horizon. The Pole Star is part of the Ursa Minor Constellation.

* Ursa Major is on the port side (North-West) around 60° above the horizon.

* Other important constellations visible : Leo, Bootes, Virgo, Corona Borealis, Ophiuchus, Hercules, Aquila, Lyra, Cygnus, Draco, Cepheus, Cassiopeia

* Important stars : Capella (N), Regulus (W), Acturus (S-W), Spica (S-W), Altair (E), Deneb (E), Vega (E)

* Planets : Jupiter (S-SE), 24° above the horizon.

Phil

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Larry,

You're very welcome. Your project sounds very interesting! Hope to hear more about it!

Hi Philippe,

Thank you for that interesting information! That is very helpful.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 31, 2001
Welcome to the message board, Larry! Newcomers are always welcome here, and I look forward to your future posts. Your animation project sounds neat; I can't wait to see it!

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Larry,

A good start would be Ken Marschall's paintings. ref Art of Titanic. He is said to be quite keen on astronomy and sought accuracy in that area of his Titanic work.
Another option is the Home Planet programme which is available on the internet.

good luck with your animation work

Martin

L

larry quinn

To all,
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Phillippe your information was appreciated and will be used, same to Mark. A little info on
what im doing. It started as a simple school project that my nephew asked me to help him with, were both Titanic ( im stuck for the right word here, fans? enthusiasts? buffs? none seem quite right} anyway the simple project has taken on a life of its own and has become anything but simple which ive noticed tends to happen when the Titanic is involved. What we are atempting is a realistic version as seen from say half a mile away, an hour before she blundered into the beg. How bright would she have been? Were all three stacks being used? Would they be throwing off sparks? Was there lights on the rigging? Would there be ice all around her? My nephew and i have both come to realise that when it comes to Titanic nothing is simple.

Once again thanks to all for making me welcome.

Larry

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Larry,

The information I gave you concerns the location where she sunk. If I'm right, you are working on a projet about the Titanic before she collides with the berg.

Location and time are different and I'll make new calculations and post it to you as soon as possible. So you'll have the more accurate data.
If you need I can forward you by e-mail some files with the sky at 10:45 pm (1 hour before she collided) or any other time.

Phil

K

Kathy A. Miles

I'm a bit late noticing this one, but I've an image from an astronomy program in jpg format which will show the sky just before impact if it's of any help. Being an astronomer, it was always of interest to me what the sky looked like. And don't forget the Leonid meteor shower was taking place then too.
Kathy

P

Philippe Delaunoy

Larry,

Could you please give me your e-mail adress and I'll send you all you need.

Phil

Nov 16, 2004
Hi,
It may be a while you posted this message, but I still think that you could also use a program as RedShift, I may have the version 4 but not installed. Hope this help

Nicolas

Status
Not open for further replies.