Starting SS-Shieldhall from cold

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Dear all,

Just came across this excellent video of a cold start of the SS-Shieldhall. Fascinating viewing for those of us with an interest in the engineering side of things.

Her machinery arrangement seems quite similar to the Olympic class, although on a smaller scale of course. Dual triple expansion engines with two condensers, serviced by separate steam powered auxiliaries. Three furnace fire tube boilers as well (oil fired).

When I'm next in the UK a sail on this ship will definitely be required I think!

Last edited:
A

Aaron_2016

Fascinating to watch. Is the engineering department similar to that on the Waverley? Here is footage I took on her way to Swanage.

Skip to 1.20 to see her engine room.

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Aaron,

I very much enjoyed the youtube clip you posted! Waverley, an M7 and the T9 and a King Arthur - what could be better!

Hi Jim,

The principle difference with the Shieldhall is that the Waverley's triple expansion engines are transverse.

I have many happy memories of the Waverley (which I hope to carry on repeating), and a not so nice memory of the MV Brading clouting it on Ryde Pier 1983 or 1984.

Incidentally, one of my nephews volunteers on the Shieldhall. He is a Pilot for Southampton water.

Cheers,

Julian

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
I first went on the Waverley when she was brand new, just after the war. Then, the Clyde was alive with steamers and many families went "Doon the Waater" for their annual 2-week summer break.
I met up with her 51 years later and for the following 6 years docked her at Tarbert where I was the local Harbour Master after I retired from full-time Marine Surveying and Investigation work.

The Sheildhall and the Dalmarnock were purpose built and ran down the Clyde from the Dalmarnock Sewage Treatment Works which serve Glasgow to this day. On Sunday, they acted as passenger vessels, taking pensioners on a day trip down the Clyde. Sounds a bit "niffy" but in fact, you could safely eat off their decks, they were that clean.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
I may have misheard - but did the guide say that it took 10-15 minutes to shift to emergency steering? That doesn't sound right to me.

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
Fascinating to watch. Is the engineering department similar to that on the Waverley? Here is footage I took on her way to Swanage.
Great video Aaron. Nicely shot and produced and good choice of music! Looks like it would have been a fun day. Great to see some period correct costumes as well.

Do you know what fuel they run the Waverley on? It seems to be running very clean, most diesel cars around here put out more smoke!

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
The family and I had a wonderful trip on Shieldhall during our recent holiday. Here are a few pictures I took on my visit to the engine room.

Attachments

Reactions: Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I would agree she is a wonderful old ship and well worth a trip. To stand between the two working triple expansion steam engine give some sense of Titanic. The noise and heat from oil fired boilers room over 100F with the smell of steam great. The bridge is a delight of the past and the crew members including the captain are so willing to answer questions. Not to mention drinking Titanic beer in the bar to.
I have been on her three times now and would go again to.

Attachments

Reactions: Rob Lawes