Staterooms styles

Mar 20, 2007
Interesting to consider that no other item of furniture carries so many potent connotations as the chaise longue. On the one hand, we think of Victorian and Edwardian boudoirs, with languid ladies engulfed in miles of foam and froth, sipping tea, reading their letters and maybe receiving gentleman callers for an hour or two of amorous adventure.

On the other hand, the very same image also stands for the perceived passivity and enforced idleness of our great-great-grandmothers. Marganita Laski wrote a powerful and terrifying short story called 'The Victorian Chaise Longue' on just this theme...

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
the perceived passivity and enforced idleness of our great-great-grandmothers
Only if one's great-great-grandmother were rich enough to be able to indulge in such a lifestyle. My great-great-grandmothers on both sides wore themselves thin working very hard to keep their families going. However, yes, the image of a "fainting couch" does bring up mental images of frivolously frail lacy women needing to be revived with smelling salts.

Here's what we think is a "day bed' in the USA:

http://www.Daybeds.com

a very different beast indeed.

R

Robert V. Magnus

Hi folks,
I have another question on my redecorating cabin B59 as my guest room. Now I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the satin comforters that I see on many of the beds. Does anyone know where they were made or where I could buy a replica? Thanks.
Bob

R

Robert V. Magnus

Thank you Jason. You're a genius. I appreciate all your information. I was just pricing the wood for the paneling in B59 and it may cost me a fortune just for that. Then I have to make the bed. Oh, and by the way I am a beginner woodworker. This should be fun since I'm also a perfectionist. Yikes.

Bob

R

Robert V. Magnus

Hi everyone,
I'm still working on remodeling my guest room after cabin B59 on Titanic. Right now I'm working on how much paneling I will need to do the room. It's like $30.00 plus for one 8 ft board, so I'm trying to figure out a way to use mouldings to get the effect of the raised panels. I think it may work. Anyway, now I'm wondering if anyone knows how the cabin numbers looked on the outside of the cabin door from the hallway. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
Bob

J

J.P. Wachtel

Hi, i am in desperate need of informtion for certain rooms, and staterooms, and cabins from first class passngers could aany one tell me how the styles for some (or all if anyone can) of the cabins listed below were (along with the cabin is the person(s) who occupied it)

Cosmo Duff-Gordon: A- 16
Lucile Duff-Gordon: A- 20
Edith Evans: A-29
Dodge Family (3): A-34
Thomas Andrews: A-36
Francis Browne: A-37

Elisabeth Robert: B-3
Elizabeth Allen & Georgette Madill: B-5
Margaret "Molly" Brown: B-6
Ida & Jean Hippach: B-18
Madame Aubert: B-35
Major Archibald Butt: B-38
Frölicher family (3): B-39-41
Dickinson & Helen Bishop: B-49
Cardeza party (3): B-51-53-55
Bruce Ismay: B-52-54-56
Ryerson party (6): B-57-59-61-63
Baxter family (3): B-58-60
Countess of Rothes & Cherry Gladys: B-77
Roberta Maioni: B-79
Benjamin Guggenheim: B-82
Carter family (4): B-94-96

Allison party (6): C-22-24-26
Fortune family (6): C-23-25-27
Lucian & Mary Smith: C-31
Ann Isham: C-49
Lilly Potter: C-50
Colonel Arcibald Gracie IV: C-51
Olive Potter & Margaret Hays: C-54
Ida & Isidor Strauss: C-55-57
Colonel John Jacob Astor: C-62-64
Madeleine Astor: C-66
Thayer family (3): C-68-70
Widener family (3): C-80-82
Bertha Mayné: C-90
Charlotte Appleton & Caroline Brown: C-101
Major Arthur Peuchen: C-104
Karl Behr: C-148

Milton Long: D-6
Daniel & Mary Marvin: D-30
Henry & Myna Harper: D-33
Richard & Sallie Beckwith: D-35
Helen Newsom: D-47

Emilie Kreuchen: E-10
Dorothy Gibson: E-22
Spedden party: E-34-39-40
Laura Francatelli: E-36

many thanks!

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in a separate thread in this subtopic, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]