Steam System (check valves)

Nov 14, 2005
I've been looking at the boiler/engines schematics for the steam system. I see the stop valves, relief valves, drain valves ect. My question is, was there any automatic check valves in the system to prevent back flow to the other boilers or equipment in the case of failure. Or was it just done with the isolation valves?

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
There were no automatic check valves in the main steam supplies to the individual reciprocating engines. Right ahead of each engine was a combined stop and throttle valve, which could be shut when an engine was out of service. In addition, there were bulkhead stop valves between the boilers and the engine room for isolation during boiler or engine maintenance. All these main steam valves were manually operated.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Ok thanks! I didn't see any on the schematics I looked at but they were just basic diagrams... Not P&I diagrams. For those not familar with a P&I (piping and instrumentation) its a diagram (prints) that shows everything. Every pipe,flange, valve,sensing lines, instrumentation ect. I'm not sure what others call them or what they were called during the time of Titanic.