Steerage deck facilites

May 18, 2012
I'm trying to do some research on steerage life on-board Titanic.
I'm particularly interested in knowing if 3rd class passengers could bring their own deck chairs.
Original Titanic brochures state 1st and 2nd class passengers could hire them for parts of the trip.
Other lines of the time make reference to steerage passengers being able to bring their own fold up chairs to enjoy the sea air.
I haven't been able to find any original or secondary information if this was the case on Titanic and would appreciate any useful pointers.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Welcome to the forum. There is a thread where you can introduce yourself.

Third Class passengers on the Titanic had their own promenade areas, which was something a lot of other ships of the time did not provide. The poop deck at the stern was such an area and AFAIK it had plenty of benches available. They could also use the well deck just forward to the poop deck. For those preferring to stay indoors, there was the Third Class General Room, with more seating available.

Although basic, the facilities provided for Third Class passengers on the Titanic were often better than what many had ever experienced back home.