Steerage Passengers School Records

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
Has anyone done any research on school records? I have come across the Register records for four Titanic Passengers from our locality: John Bourke, Mary Bourke, Mary Canavan, Annie McGowan.

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
Hi Mick

I have researched school records - both for the Ford children and also for other genealogy research. Personally I find them a fantastic resource for furthering research - well at least the ones I have used are - and I have spent many hours reading log books
happy.gif

Sadly I have yet to find mention of the disaster in any I have read for East Sussex UK, they usually talk a lot about the weather and also what sort illnesses were making the rounds at various times. Read through the ones you have found, all information helps to build a picture of the families who attended the school and of the people who helped with the upkeep of the school. Can I ask where you found them though? in a record office or a private source?

Em

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
Emma

Thank your for your reply. I live in a small rural parish in the West coast of Ireland; population in 1911 c1600, now c770. 14 people from the parish were on the Titanic. Three survived. At the time there were four national schools; Lahardane, Bofeenaun, Massbrook & Rathkell. Partial Register records exist prior to 1900 for two schools. These registers yielded four records. One record is for a survivor, Annie McGowan. It states: "Gone to USA". Interestingly the entry for Annie makes no reference to the disaster, or the devastating effect on our locality.

Hope this helps.

Mick Molloy

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
Thanks Inger. It was quite a strange feeling coming across the records in the two tattered registers. John & Mary Bourke's records are dated 1878 and 1879 respectively. I tried to upload one as a jpeg, but the file was too big. There is no broadband yet in the rural west, we operate on 46.6 kbps!