1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Steering / Rudder engines

Discussion in 'Technical Construction Design' started by Andy Carter, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Andy Carter

Andy Carter Member

Hi everyone,

I been looking in for a while but have decided to post now, I've been interested in the technical side of Titanic since 1983

My questions are regarding the engine and spare engine for the Rudder;
    1 How many crew where in that station and did they sleep in there?
    2. Where did the steam exhaust go?
    3. Where was the boiler for this engine or did it run of the main boilers?
    4. Anything else anyone can tell me about this section of the Ship

Thank you and thanks for a great website

all the best Andy Carter

2. If you mean C Deck with the steering gear, no one was stationed there or sleep in there.
    I am not sure (my memory might be wrong) a crew member (might have been the deck engineer or a quartermaster) checked it from time to time.
    There were two sets of steam engines which got their steam from the main boilers. As the question goes into much technical detail I would like to recommend the book "Titanic -The Ship Magnificent Volume 1" which might have the answers you are looking for.

3. Andy Carter

Andy Carter Member

I think someone must have been stationed in there, surely they wouldn't leave a large Steam Engine running without anyone there?

Also shows bunks on the deck plans

4. Had a look the cabin was for the assistant plumber and a deck engineer.
    I guess I was right in my above post #2 it was the deck engineer who had a look.

5. Typically, steering room engines are unmanned. Aside from people having to check in on the machinery as a matter of routine, there's no reason to keep anybody in there 24/7.

Ioannis Georgiou likes this.
  6. Andy Carter

Andy Carter Member

Thanks for the replies.

How about the exhaust steam from the engine, does anyone know where it exited the Ship?

7. Exhaust steam does not exit the ship. Steam is condensed back into feedwater, reheated, and fed back to the boilers.
    If you are really that interested in the technical side of the ship, I strongly recommend buying the reference book that Ioannis listed above.

8. Rancor

Rancor Member

Hi Andy,

If I recall correctly exhaust steam from the steering engines was directed to the main condensers, not the direct contact heater like most of the other auxiliary engines.

Andy Carter likes this.
  9. codad1946

codad1946 Member

It seems you are right about exhausting to the main condensers, and that makes sense to a certain extent - Steering gear
    - has a lot of information on the steering engines. On ships with electro-hydraulic gear, 30 one way to passing 30 the other is usually achieved in around 25s on one engine, 18s on two if I remember correctly. Titanic's steering engines had to be jacked into place to engage the wheels - not sure if you could use both at once as you can and do on a modern ship.

It seems however that you couldn't test the steering engines unless your main condenser was fired up, which of course it would be if the ship was ready to sail. There could have been a line back to either the surface feed heater or the auxiliary condenser for port use. Tom Bates sent me some schematics, but they are on another computer; they may show the steam from the steering gear.