Status
Not open for further replies.

Stella Cottam

Jun 14, 2006
Hi, I found this site whilst reading about my great great grandfather Harold Cottam who, as we all know, was on the Carpathia. Just thought I'd say hello and get to know people.
happy.gif

May 2, 2006
London
Hi Stella,

Welcome on board! As you are related to Harold Cottam, perhaps you could tell us some stuff that has been passed down your family that isn't readily available on the internet?

Carla

Stella Cottam

Jun 14, 2006
Hi Carla,

Thanx!
The Cottam side of my family is on my Dad's side and although they don't live far away I don't know them all that well. My Dad doesn't know much but I know one of my aunt's is obsessed with anything to do with the family. My Dad has a photo of Harold, I don't know how old it is though. :/ I'll see if I can get in touch with my aunt.
happy.gif
I just happened to come across this website when I was trying to make a family tree.
happy.gif

May 2, 2006
London
Could you post or privately send me a scan of the picture? Thanks in advance.

Carla

PS. There should be more descendants of Titanic survivors and descendants of people on the rescue ship etc. I know a relative of Harold Bride, but as far as I know he isn't on this website. Yet...

Stella Cottam

Jun 14, 2006
My Dad told me today that Harold Cottam is my great Grandad and he told me that my Grandad died before him. Harold Cottam died when I was 6 so I don't remember him at all. I also found out that the medal he recieved was sold by a member of the family in America. That would have been a nice thing to own. Apparently he was well paid for it too. Kind of annoying because things like that should stay in the family.
sad.gif

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
I agree Stella. I wish that heirloom could have stayed in your family. Your great grandad was a heck of a guy and every survivor and their descendants owe him thanks. I can see him preparing for bed and calling Titanic to inform them of messages and receiving the famous reply.
That, is your heirloom. Take care and hope to see more posts from you.
Respectfully, Don

May 2, 2006
London
I agree with Don. Your great grandad is one of my heroes along with my own great grandad (William Herbert Matthews). At least your dad can tell you a bit about your great grandad and there must be other artifacts
happy.gif

Carla

Status
Not open for further replies.