Stephen Latham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2008
Hi, As an engineer I have a tendency to think of ideas, problem solve and improve the efficiency of processes. The Titanic episode has been one which has fascinated me due to the circumstances involved, the mistakes made, and the time available to take action. After having a quick look through your excellent website of the resources available on the liner, it has inspired me to come up with a few ideas that could have been used to save more people.

In fact I neither believe that the liner was doomed, even after hitting the iceberg or that the passengers (at least) could not have been saved if it did sink. I would like to run a few ideas through you experts to see if there are any obvious technical flaws.

Even if that is not the case I appreciate that thinking of solutions in an armchair and actually implementing them in the heat of the moment are two entirely different things!

Nov 1, 2008
Welcome to this fascinating place.
happy.gif
I've only been here a few days myself, but I am spending way too much of my day here. ;)

Interested to see your theories, as I wonder about a couple of things myself.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Stephen,

Welcome aboard.

quote:

In fact I neither believe that the liner was doomed, even after hitting the iceberg or that the passengers (at least) could not have been saved if it did sink.

Errr...you'll find that your theory contradicts with the known facts and available evidence presented. But, you're welcome to discuss it in the "Collision / Sinking Theories" topic.​

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, when five out of sixteen compartments were opened to the sea, the ship's fate was sealed. Whether or not the inevitable could have been delayed is another question entirely. Keep in mind that their knowladge and understanding of shipboard damage control wasn't what it is today and they didn't even have the sort of equipment we take for granted in the here and now.

Status
Not open for further replies.