Stern Cargo Cranes Different on Olympic

A

Aaron_2016

I noticed the crane doors are different on the Olympic. Was there a reason for the difference?

Titanic (left) Olympic (right)

doorsships.PNG

The Olympic in 1922.

Olympic1922.PNG

Was it necessary to have so many door handles on the Olympic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
This is absolutely a guess but those handles look like the clips on a watertight door. (Clips are the naval term for that type of handle).

That suggests to me that it was designed to shut that door tightly into its frame to prevent water ingress.

It would then depend on if that was the original design on the Olympic which was deemed unnecessary from experience when the Titanic's cranes were fitted or, it is a later in service addition due to water ingress effecting the cranes working gear.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
That is not a door on the Titanic picture. There was no difference about the door between Olympic & Titanic only with the position where the door was. I have marked the door on Titanic with yellow.

doorsships1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
It's interesting that Titanic's door has been moved 90 degrees to the right moving it to the side instead of facing the boat deck. maybe it was moved to improve the first class passenger's view?

A

Aaron_2016

I don't see a door on the sides. According to James Cameron's film the doors were located on the back of the cranes with white handles.

Titanicdoorb2.PNG

Titanicdoorb1.PNG

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Actually it is a well known fact that on Olympic the doors were facing forward while on Titanic they were facing outboard (nothing to do with view of 1st class passengers, which had 2 deck cranes on their own A Deck with the door facing them).

In this picture the partly open door can bee seen at last for those who want to see it.
12696958_10204447779509189_3511210131117678589_o.jpg

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
This is absolutely a guess but those handles look like the clips on a watertight door. (Clips are the naval term for that type of handle)
My recollection is that they are called "dogs." But, otherwise, I agree with you.

The door location on Olympic would seem to block the passageway when the door is open. Maybe that was the reason for re-orienting it on Titanic.

Last edited:

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
I'm out of date - a bit like Rip Van Winkle.

So, am I to assume that avast and larboard are archaic terms now? ;)

Instead of telling a seaman, "Jones, shut that door and dog it," it would be "clip it?"

Last edited:

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
In the picture below IR stands for Indian Rubber.

wtd hinged.jpg

The other noticeable difference between Olympic and Titanic's poop deck is the cowl vents are almost all facing a different direction.

Are the arms on the cranes are different? Could they be lowered and raised? The Titanic's are down and appear longer, while Olympic's are angled up in both pics. Is this why the vents are different? where they removable?

I am also curious as to what is covered by the tarp on Titanic's poop deck, which can be just seen at the left edge (facing) of the picture of Olympic below?

Poop decks.jpg

Another question is what is the over hanging object seen in the pic. Aaron posted highlighted green below? It is not present in the Olympic picture I posted above.

aarons.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The other noticeable difference between Olympic and Titanic's poop deck is the cowl vents are almost all facing a different direction.
They have also different height's and positions.

Are the arms on the cranes are different? Could they be lowered and raised? The Titanic's are down and appear longer, while Olympic's are angled up in both pics. Is this why the vents are different? where they removable?
The arms of the cranes are the same ones, the high of the fan was more the case leaving them in the raises position.

I am also curious as to what is covered by the tarp on Titanic's poop deck, which can be just seen at the left edge (facing) of the picture of Olympic below?
It contains the wire rope reels.

Another question is what is the over hanging object seen in the pic. Aaron posted highlighted green below? It is not present in the Olympic picture I posted above.
It is a ventilator/fan.

There are several more differences by the way. ;)

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
View attachment 3918
I believe those cowl vents could be rotated to maximize or control the inlet air flow. They could be oriented based on the ship's course and apparent wind direction. In port, they could be oriented to catch whatever breeze there was.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
I'm out of date - a bit like Rip Van Winkle.

So, am I to assume that avast and larboard are archaic terms now? ;)

Instead of telling a seaman, "Jones, shut that door and dog it," it would be "clip it?"
Avast is still going strong. Larboard is not used any more and yes, Jones would clip a door or put the clips on.