Steve Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Burke

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this board and am fascinated by the amount of enthusiasm people still have with the Titanic. As I read many of the postings I can feel much of the passion for the ship, it's crew and passengers and it's lore the members here have.
Actually my Grandmother was supposed to board the Titanic at Southampton but for some unexplained reason missed her sailing with her aunt. Does anybody know what the very next sailing was to Canada after April 12? Her name was Honora Joyce Hart (she was only 3 at the time).
I hope to be a regular on this board as I'm starting to get the Titanic itch.

Thanks so much

Steve Burke

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard! This is the best site for all things Titanic and that's interesting about your grandmother. I noticed in your profile that you're just outside of Toronto, so we're not too far from each other.

It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Hemmert

Oct 16, 2002
Hi Steve,

Checking up on "the next sailing" will be a chore! With the coal strike on, and so many sailings cancelled, even "accurate" schedules from that time would be rendered almost useless. (Otherwise, I'd suggest "Cook's Timetables, Tourist's Handbook, and Steamship Tables" for 1912. - I managed to snag a 1901 copy off ebay, and it's incredible.) Best guess would be the "London Times" - archived on microfilm at many libraries, and available to many that don't have it, through "interlibrary loans". Check the newspaper on the assumed date of departure and for 2 days afterwards to make sure the sailing in question wasn't cancelled. That just might get you the info you need, as all steamship arrivals and departures were posted in the news...

Hope that helps!
John.

S

Steve Burke

Thanks John,

I find it amazing how the few months following the Titanic's demise can just vanish. It's been a real struggle finding any sailings during this period, but if it was an easy task I wouldn't have anything to do would I. The search goes on.
Everybody's been so nice here.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.