Steven B Anderson

Sep 2, 2009
Hello:

Well I finally came over to ET, so I thought I would inform all the members here of my joining the message board.

And my new address as many are still trying to reach me at my old E-mail address. (As I have been informed by many members of this list.)

I can be reached at [email protected].

Hopefully, time permitting I will be able to be an active member of this group. I have been vastly adding to the Ocean Liner Collection and working on developing a web-site on the R.M.S. Aquitania, as many members will know I currently have over 2500 photograph's and postcards of her.

Work has kept me busy over the last year or so, so I haven't been in touch with many from the original Titanic Group from Prodigy from back in 1992-93.

And I have moved a couple of times over the last few years.

Hope to here from some of the old timers again

Would love to hear from people in my general area, that want to talk to met, the old timers will know who doesn't LOL.

Regards:

Steven B. Anderson
[email protected]
Springfield, MA /Hartford CT Area

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Steven,

Welcome aboard! I see that you live in Springfield, MA. I was down there in April for the THS weekend event, and Springfield is a very nice town. I noticed in your profile that you've met Millvina. I also had the pleasure and honour of meeting her in Southampton on July 20, and she is such a sweet and wonderful lady.

It's also interesting to see that you are related to Samuel Cunard. It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Steven, There are members here with an interest in quite a few liners other then the Titanic. (I'm one of them.) I think you'll find a nice home in the Other Ships And Shipwrecks folder.

Welcome aboard!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hey, folks---

Here at Mr. Hind's convention that never ends, the all-star cast that's already milling about hardly needs improvement; in fact, it's tough to think of very many people whose arrival would bring any great addition to the collective knowledge already found here. Steve Anderson, though, is one of those.

Welcome, OM.

Jan 5, 2001
Welcome Steven!

I am sure you'll find ET of interest too. I have some descriptions of the Aquitania's 'new' 1929 refit -- I can send them to you if you want?

Best regards,

Mark.

Sep 2, 2009
Hello All:

Thanks for the welcome, Time permitting I will try to respond to several of the posts.

Micheal H. - What no single Aquitania folder over here?, or I just haven't found it yet.

Jason: As for the photo of Melvinna and myself, it was the only recent photo I could find and then it is even seven years old as it is from the 1995 Titanic International Connvention in Newark, NJ.

As for the Springfield, MA gathering's in the future let me know it you are going to be in the area and I will met you in a nearby resturant or bar, as I am not welcome at these gatherings due to my association with RMS Titanic, Inc.

As for Sir Samuel Cunard, his daughter Mary Cunard (B. 4/21/1817), married a James Horsefield Peters in 1837 and gave birth two daughters Mary Caroline and Margaret Laura (one of which was my Grandmother's Grandmother.) Who married a Steele and had a daughter who married a Cyr, who had a Daughter - Dorothy Cyr, who married an Raymond A. Anderson who has a son Bruce S. Anderon - etc.

However, since she has passed on now and was Eighty-Seven when she told me this I am still researching the history, I need to go to the family church / cemitary in Wallace, Nova Scotia again.

Mark B. - I will make the bad news short, the Cunard Daily History I was working on using the over 1000+ books in my collection was lost when the hard drive crashed a few months back. I have been reloading a ton of stuff. Luckly I had burned all the photographic images onto a CD, but not a lot of my text.

Mark C. - Yes I would be interested in the details of the 1929 refitt. In addition I will have to scan the recent series of Aquitania postcards I aquirred as they are the Montiqie B. Black pre-disaster image of the Olympic/Titanic passing at sea issued in France labelled as the Aquitania.

So the question is which is rarer the Olympic / Titanic pre-disaster card? Or the same card issued as the Aquitania?

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Steve!
Welcome on board! A hello too from our mutual friend Joe, with whom Im visiting this weekend for pizza and Titanic discussion..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
the Cunard Daily History I was working on using the over 1000+ books in my collection was lost when the hard drive crashed

Oh, no! How much did you lose?

Something similar nearly happened to me a few years ago, when the computer that the only complete copy of my White Star history notes suffered a seizure of some sorts. After considerable fretting on my part, the machine came back to life, its memory (and my notes) intact. Since then, though, I keep up-to-date copies on every computer I have access to and have several floppies with copies lying all over the place.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Steven,

I'll definitely let you know the next time I'm in Springfield. You should be welcome to those kind of gatherings even though you are associated with RMSTI, but that's THS politics for you.

That's an interesting family history you have!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sorry Steven, no single Aquatania folder here, but you can if you like, start new threads on the subject. Several of us techies have an interest in the ship, especially in regards a grounding incident and nature of the damage she took.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Yes I would be interested in the details of the 1929 refit. In addition I will have to scan the recent series of Aquitania postcards I aquirred as they are the Montiqie B. Black pre-disaster image of the Olympic/Titanic passing at sea issued in France labelled as the Aquitania.

I have several A4 sheets of material on this refit which I will try to scan in and send to you -- my scanner's always playing up! I like Aquitania but I don't know as much about her as I would like because there has never been a truly detailed book about her -- my joint favourite is Olympic, and I've got some Aquitania specifics such as the 1929 refit which are good, but hardly anything else! I hope I can learn more from you about this wonderful ship.

Oh -- one other thing, I have a list showing most of her WWII voyages, the #numbers, destinations, ports of call, etc. I'll try and scan that for you.

I am afraid I've little idea as to which of the postcards is rarer, I know next to nothing about post cards!
wink.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

Sep 2, 2009
Mark:

As for the Cunard History I lost it all, and now have a new computer with a zip drive and cd-burner for backup or transfer.

I have spent better part of my spare time over the last few months updating an excel database of the books in my collection and were they are located, so I stop buying second and third copies of the same volume.

I have been trying to scan all the postcards / brochures/ and photographs in the collection and then watermark them for a web-site on Aquitania and Cunard History. But get started and another project come up so to say.

Sep 2, 2009
Hello All:

To get some discussion going on my favorite liner RMS Aquitania, I am posting scans of a few very rare postcard images from my personnel collection.

Here are a couple of interesting little postcards that I have recently added to my collection with a Cunard Aquitainia - White Star Titanic connection.

The image is by Montique B. Black and dates from 1911. This image is more commonly shown with the Titanic passing in the back on the right. This image was originally used on Olympic - Titanic Advertishing from 1911-1912. After the disaster the Titanic Name was removed and this image was used to advertish the Olympic/Britannic. This card dates from 1914-1915 and was published by Le Goubey.

47807.png

Sep 2, 2009
Hello Again:

Now the last image is not clear so I though I would send a better once and some info on this "little" item.

This is an image of one of the few "original" White Star Line posters for the Olympic and Titanic.

Many of the old-timers should remember this item as photos were set around back in 1995-96.

For those of you that missed it here is the information.

On November 11, 1996 this item was located along with a few various other Titanic / Olympic items in a barn behind a used book store / antique shop in New Hampshire.

Many other serious collector's will recognize this item as it was on the cover of Ken Shultz's catalog Number 56 (April 1994)Item 600. (However this isn't the one Ken Schultz had as it has the original frame and leather plaque.)

Prior to April of 1994 this was an never before seen poster by Monitque B. Black showing his famous image of the Olympic and Titanic passing at sea.

This image was also used on a rare pre-maiden voyage postcard.

What makes "ORIGINAL" poster set apart from all the rest is it has the original wide green border on which is printed White Star Line and below Olympic 45,000 tons - Titanic 45,000 tons the Largest Steamers in the world and also has the Liverpool Printing and Stationary mark in the lower right corner.

After the Disaster the White Star Line inked over the name Titanic. And added the new Text: R.M.S.Olympic 45,324 Tons, The Largest Steamer in the World. This was done by a gold-tone overprint to look like a brass plaque and then the text was silkscreened on in blue.

Now however due to age the original text can be seen fading through.

Unlike the Shultz copy this on has the original frame and leather plague which reads as follows:

WHITE STAR LINE "OLYMPIC" with two small white stars on the left and right. The the left in small text New Triple Screw Steamer and on the right The Largest Steamer in the World.

This is the original of two versions of this image. The White Star Line later used this image without the border or the overprinted text to represent the Olympic/Britannic. In my opinion White Star cut the original border off the original Litho-graghic screen printed images and reframed them. As this type of poster/print was quite expensive to manufacture originally.

The poster with frame is not a little item as it is 58" x 48" and the size of the Olympic is 36" bow to stern. The Titanic in the background is 8.5" bow to stern.

Due to the size of this item and the quality of the lithographic work it was an item that was not meant to hang in a local travel agents office. It was meant to White Star Line Office's Only, as the image was altered by White Star Lines and used again until new artwork could be obtained, at that point it was trashed or rendered to a basement. Based on were this item was located in would be my opinion that it came from the Boston Office on State Street of the White Star Line.

In 1994 there were only two "ORIGINAL" posters known with the Titanic's name actually on them. The last I knew this number as of 2002 has reached only seven.

The prior image is blurred due to the lighting that was used to show the text that was inked over. Here is a better view as the item was found in it original condition in 1996

47816.png

Sep 2, 2009
Now that I have had time to locate this, in the collection here is a scan of the original White Star line Pre-disaster issued post card with the same Montique B. Black Image.

49369.png