Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Dear Board members,

At the moment no new information on the photo of stewardesses in Plymouth.

Six names are for sure: Miss Jessop, Mrs. Slocumbe, Miss Sloan and Miss Prichard on the front row. Mrs. Robinson and Mrs. Gold on the back row.

For the other two stewardesses on the front row, we have a possible name: The one between Miss Sloan and Miss Prichard, looks like Miss Marsden, I'm not sure, but she looks like the photo of Miss Marsden in ET. The stewardess on the right, next to Miss Prichard looks like the photo of Mrs. McLaren in Titanic Voices on page 68.

And the name of Mrs. Martin is named for the stewardess next to Mrs. Gold. I think that could be true, but we must have some evidence for that fact.

I've another question for the board:

Some of the stewardesses where married and had children.
Two of the stewardesses who died had children: Mrs. Lucy Violet Snape nee Lennard had a young daughter.
Mrs. Catherine Jane Wallis nee Moore, had four children, two daughters and two sons.

Had any of the surviving stewardesses children?

We know that Miss Prichard had a young daughter.

What are the maiden names of Mrs. Mabel Bennet,
Mrs. Kate Gold, Mrs. Elizabeth Leather, Mrs. Annie Martin, Mrs. Annie Robinson and Mrs. Maude Slocumbe?

kind regards,

Hildo,

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Daniel and G'day all,
I'm sorry for writing a few lines at the start of this thread and then clearing out on you all.
I'm a computer dummy and I had problems that held me up until my little brother could come and fix them.
Daniel, yes it was me who won the place on the expedition in '98. I do a few talks and presentations but mostly around Sydney. Where are you? Anyway get in touch and I'll tell you what is coming up. My e-mail is [email protected]
I have not yet had a chance to read all the recent messages on this subject but it looks interesting!
Bye for now,
Andrew.

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hello, everyone,

I have the information about the stewardesses you all send and from the books worked out.

Mrs. Mabel Bennett, 30 years of age. She was born in Hampshire. She was married. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She lived in Southampton on 22 Cranbury Avenue. She left Titanic in lifeboat 5.

Mrs. Emma Bliss nee Junod, 45 years of age. She was married with Ernest John Bliss. She was born 09-05-1866 in Switzerland. Her ship before Titanic was Majestic. She lived at 56 up park rd, New Southgate. She left Titanic in lifeboat 15. After the disaster she settled down in Canada. She died on 18-06-1959 (93).

Miss Ruth Bowker, 27 years of age. She was born in Ware.She was not married. She was the first cashier of the restaurant. She lived at The Cottage, Little Sutton, Cheshire and her adress in London was 2 Hand Road, Brompton Road. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She left Titanic in lifeboat 6.

Miss Annie Caton, 50 years of age and born in London. Titanic was her first ship. She was not married. She lived at 50 Highbury Hill, London. She left Titanic in boat 11.

Mrs. Katherine Gold, 40 years of age and was born in London. She lived in Glenthorne, Bassett. She was married and before she joined Titanic she served aboard Olympic. She left Titanic in lifeboat 11.

Miss Mary Gregson, 40 years of age, was born in Liverpool. She was not married and her last ship was Olympic. She lived at 28 Lawland Road Southampton. She left Titanic in lifeboat 16.

Miss Violet Constance Jessop, was born on 02-10-1887 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She was the eldest and five brothers and sisters. Her family later moved to England. Her father was a sheep farmer. She follow in the steps of her mother who was a stewardess too. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She shared a cabin on Titanic with Elizabeth Leather. She lived at 71 Shirley Road, Bedford Park, London. She left Titanic with lifeboat 16. She was aboard the Olympic when it collide with the Hawke and aboard Brittanic when it was hit by a torpedo. Miss Jessop died in 1971, she was 84.

Miss Bessie Lavington, was born in Wells, she was 39 years of age. Before she served on Titanic, she served on Olympic. She was not married. She lived at Manor Farm, Headbourne Road, Winchester. She left Titanic in lifeboat 11.

Mrs. Elizabeth Leather, was 41 years of age and born in Liverpool. She was married and lived at 28 Park Road, Port Sunlight, Liverpool. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She left Titanic in lifeboat 16.

Miss Evelyn Marsden, was 28 years of age, she was born on 15-10-1883 in Australia. She was not married. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She lived at 7 West Marlands Terrace, Polygon, Southampton. She left Titanic in lifeboat 16. Shortly after the disaster she married with Dr. William Abel James. They moved to Australia. They had no children. Miss Marsden died on 30-05-1938.

Mrs. Annie Martin, was 33 years of age and was born in Guernsey. She was married and lived on Posbrook Road in Portsmouth. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She was rescued in lifeboat 11.

Miss Margaret E. Martin, was 20 years of age. She was the second cashier of the restaurant. She lived at 1 Apsley Villa, Horn Lane, Acton London. She left Titanic in lifeboat 6.

Mrs. H. McLaren nee Allsop, was 40 years of age and was born in Liverpool. She was married and lived at 9 Shirley Road, Southampton. Her brother Frank Allsop was also aboard Titanic. Her ship before Titanic was Romanic. She left Titanic in lifeboat 5. Her brother died.

Miss Alice Prichard, was 33 years of age and was born in London. She was not married, but had one daughter. She lived at 9 Rosslyn Road, East Ham, London. Her ship before Titanic was Minnehaha. She left Titanic with lifeboat 11.

Mrs. Mary Keziah Roberts nee Humphreys, was born on 19-10-1870 in Liverpool. She was in 1912 41 years of age. In 1896 she married David Roberts and they had 5 children. She lived at 9 chestnut Gr. Nottingham. Her ship before Titanic was Adriatic. She left Titanic in lifeboat 16. She died on 02-01-1933, she was 61 years old.

Mrs. Annie Robinson, was 40 years of age and was born in Bedford. She was married and lived at 128 Shirley Road, Southampton. Her ship before Titanic was S. Manitoba. She left Titanic in lifeboat 11.

Mrs. Mary J. Sloan, was 28 years of age and was from Belfast. She was not married. She left the ship in lifeboat 12.

Mrs. Maude, Slocombe, was 30 years of age and was born in London. She was married and lived at 8 Leopold Terrace, Tottenham Londen. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She left Titanic in lifeboat 11.

Miss Katherine E. Smith, was 42 years of age and was born in Gloucestershire. She was not married and lived at Balmoral, Cebbett Road, Southampton. She left Titanic in lifeboat 11.

Mrs. Lucy Violet Snape nee Lennard, was 22 years of age. She lived at Well Lane, Sandown. She was a widow, with a little daughter. Titanic was her first ship. She died.

Miss Agnes Sarah Stap, was 46 years of age, she was born at sea. She was not married, she lived at 41 Bidstan Avanue, Cloughton, Birkenhead. Her ship before Titanic was Olympic. She was rescued in lifeboat 11. She died on 27-03-1937, she was 72.

Mrs. Catherine Jane Wallis nee Moore, was 35 years of age and was born in Hampshire. She married Richard James Wallis and they had four children, 2 daughters and 2 sons. Mr. Wallis died 1911. Mrs. Wallis lived at 23 St. Mary's Place, Southampton. Her ship before Titanic was Oceanic.
Mrs. Wallis died.

Miss Katherine Walsh, was 32 years of age, she was born in Ireland. She lived at 57 Church Road, Woolston, Southampton. Miss Walsh died.

Mrs. Annie Robinson, Mrs. Katherine Gold, Miss Violet Jessop, Mrs. Maude Slocumbe, Miss Mary Sloan and Miss Alice Prichard, are on the picture of stewardesses posing in Plymouth.

Mrs. H. McLaren, is maybe on the picture.

The names of Mrs. Mary Roberts, Mrs. Annie Martin and Miss Evelyn Marsden are named as possible on the picture.

This the information I have for so far. Is there any new information?

Regards,

Hildo

Mar 10, 1998
Hildo,
Just a few additions--Miss McLaren was Harriet Allsop McLaren.

Maud Slocombe's maiden name was Walden and she married a Walden--second marriage was to Slocombe. She did have a son who lived in New York and died about 25 years ago, not long after Maud herself died. I have several great photos of her in later years--not a good-looking woman, but an interesting looking woman--bet she was a good masseuse!

Also, although Violet Jessop died as Miss Violet Jessop--she had been married. Her husband, who was an old bachelor of 46 at the time of their marriage, was a mariner in the merchant service who lived at the Parker's Hotel in Southampton when they met. Her husband's father had also been a Master Mariner--so seafaring appears to have been in the blood of all involved. They married in a Catholic ceremony, but that did not prevent a divorce after about a year. There were no children.

I hope this is of interest.

Phillip

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Dear Phillip,

Thanks, for the information about Mrs. Harriet McLaren nee Allsop, Miss Violet Jessop and Mrs. Maude Slocombe nee Walden.

It's very useful information.

Kind Regards,

Hildo

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
In reference to Violet Jessop, it is quite possible she was of a feminist bent and kept her own name after marriage. Considering her adventurous spirit, this is a likely possibility.

Lucy Stone was the first woman to keep her own name in 1855, and the custom of retaining one's own name picked up some speed in the 1910s, and enjoyed some popularity. While a small number of women have kept their own names since 1855, during this time period, it would be at the highest level until the 1970s.

I have an interesting book, "Mrs Man" by Una Stannard, that is a history of naming customs among women. Stannard covers the Edwardian era extensively, and her hypothesis of why keeping one's own name became more popular then was because of the increasing influence of the suffrage movement, and the widening roles for women during the First World War.

Hope I didn't bore anyone here.

You didn't bore me! My museum has an exhibit up right now on the woman's suffrage movement. We are a historical society in NJ and Lucy Stone is one of our featured ladies. She not only kept her name, but wrote a letter to the NJ State Legislature complaining of taxation without representation! Quite a gal.

Cheers!
Bonnie
Who has become a fan of nineteenth century suffragists.

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me something more about: Mrs. Martin, Miss Martin, Miss Bowker, Miss Smith and Miss Caton?

And does anyone know who the others are on the photo on page 244. In the front row we have for sure: Miss Violet Jessop, Mrs. Maude Slocombe nee Walden, Miss Mary Sloan, unidentified, (maybe Miss Evelyn Marsden?) Miss Alice Prichard, unidentified, (maybe Mrs. Harriet McLaren nee Allsop). Back row: Unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Mrs. Annie Robinson, Mrs. Katherine Gold and unidentified. (the named of Mrs. Annie Martin is named for her, does anyone know who she is?)

Does anyone know who the women are on page 219 of the same book?

Is the anything known about which passengers the stewardesses served during the voyage?

Many thanks for any information about the stewardesses.

Regards,

Hildo

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hi everyone,

I think this question is one of the last I will ask about the stewardesses, it seems there is not more known about them.

The stewardess on page 244 of Titanic, Voices next to Mrs. Catherine Gold nee Cook, I think is for nearly 100 % sure Mrs. Annie Martin. I have two reasons for this identification.
The first, she and Mrs. Gold where good friends for many years. The way the two women are standing next to each other gives me the impression that the two are good friends.

It's a shame that I haven't got a picture of Mrs. Martin, then I could know it for sure.

The second, Mrs. Martin was the only stewardess who lived in Portsmouth at the time of the disaster.

Is there anyone who can tell me more about Mrs. Annie Martin?

Thanks,

Hildo

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Through the kindness of a relative, I now have a quality photo of Evelyn Marsden and I'm pretty sure she is not in the Plymouth photo. I'm told she was relatively tall, which also rules out the short woman in the front row.

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information on Miss Marsden. Now we can take her from the list of sterwardesses posing in Plymouth.

In the front row we have for sure: Miss Violet Jessop, Mrs. Maude Slocombe nee Walden, Miss Mary Sloan, unidentified, Miss Alice Prichard, unidentified, (maybe Mrs. Harriet McLaren nee Allsop does anyone know for sure if she is Mrs. McLaren nee Allsop). Back row: Unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified, Mrs. Annie Robinson, Mrs. Katherine Gold and unidentified. (the named of Mrs. Annie Martin is named for her, does anyone know for sure if she is Mrs. Martin?)

Regards,

Hildo

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Hi, Hildo The closest I know to your question is..
Annie Robinson looked after 7 ladies, one maid and a governess. She could be talking about the Ryerson family Miss. Emily Borie, Mrs Emily Ryerson, Suzette, maid victorine Chadanson, and governess Grace Bowen and possibly 2 other ladies.
Selena Cook remmembered'We had a very nice stewardess and steward whose names were Mrs. Walsh and Mr. Petty.'
For the question about Mrs. Annie Martin. She was discribed as a tall gracefull woman.
I hope this infomation will be helpfull, if you dont already have it.

- Andrew

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your information. I know who the two stewardesses are on page 222.

On the left Miss Sloan and on the right Mrs. Slocombe nee Walden.

Regards,

Hildo

Chris Dohany

Dec 12, 1999
Has it been confirmed that the woman referred to is indeed Miss Sloan? I recall someone here saying that it looked like her, but that's it. I myself don't see the resemblance.

Hildo Thiel

Nov 5, 2000
Hi Chris,

The one who said she looks like Miss Sloan, was me. You said she looks not like her. Who do you think she is? I see much resemblance with a photo I have from her from the book "The Titanic Disaster - as reported in the British National Press April - July 1912. But if you say it is not sure I will put her on my not sure list.

Regards,

Hildo