1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stewards and other miscellaneous crew members

Discussion in 'A Night to Remember' started by Matthew Bowyer Fan, Aug 29, 2017.

1. When steerage passengers are hold down, a crewman arrive to aid them before Chief Officer Wilde pass order: "Women and Children up top!". Now my question is what that Crewman is?

He is dressed this way:

Thanks in Advance!

Výstřižek3.JPG

Výstřižek1.JPG

Výstřižek.JPG

Výstřižek2.JPG

2. Athlen

Athlen Member

I cannot answer your question based on the man's uniform, but the scene and the order to send women and children to the Boat Deck is reminiscent of Third Class Steward John E. Hart. He survived and his testimony at the British Inquiry is available here. Note that some here have questioned the authenticity of Hart's story, but he does testify that he went down to Third Class and ordered women and children to come to the Boat Deck. Some willingly stayed behind, and undoubtedly some did not understand the order given in English.

3. From his uniform I would say that he is a senior steward, with a single 'saw-tooth' insignia on his sleeve. The Chief Steward had two rows of saw-tooth insignia.

4. Thank you! I see now, that wireless operators have same mark on the sleeves in A Night to Remember. Did they had saw-tooth insignia, too in real-life?

2240254,1IQxvQRS9CbVaSqPQ0+lkgYnc3o73ioI2IdFHYEyQHt+CslGxWUiU0buAB4vkKKZ_Y_G7SGC1csBlRG_nSOviw==.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. No they did not. That is one of the several mistakes in the film.
    The saw-tooth insignia would be for the 2nd steward.

6. B-rad

B-rad Member

You should read the new book Guide to the Crew of Titanic. Good read lots if detail

7. @Ioannis Georgiou So you want to say that he was meant to be Samuel Francis Sedunary?

@B-rad I don't have it. :-(

8. With that uniform, no.
    I guess it is one of the master at arms but again the saw-tooth insignia is wrong.

9. Thank you so much! Do you think it is Henry Joseph Bailey? Or Thomas Walter King?

10. And what is position/rank of this guy?

vlcsnap-2017-09-13-17h45m50s120.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-13-17h45m58s005.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-13-17h46m06s723.png

11. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

That's Desmond Llewelyn, best known as 'Q' in the early James Bond films. In the imdb cast listing he appears as an uncredited seaman (which is clearly wrong) but in the most detailed available cast list he appears as an uncredited steward. I have also seen a reference that he was playing one of the two Masters at Arms. Whatever, it's unlikely he was intended to be any particular identifiable individual. Take your pick.

12. @Bob Godfrey Thank you! May you Please link me to most detailed available cast list?

13. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

It's not that easy. The most detailed information about the film, including cast listings, is not available online and neither can it all be found from one source.

14. Hi

What class do you think that is this guy? I assume second but I would like to know others opinion.

vlcsnap-2017-09-16-15h31m33s987.png

15. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

As the character specifically states "No steerage up here, this is Second Class" you need have little doubt.

16. @Bob Godfrey And costume is wrong, right? Almost every steward in ANTR wore this, no matter class. What does actually wore second class stewards?

17. I also suspect that he is cockney accent. He appears to say: It's against rules! I shall lose me job!

18. @Bob Godfrey I guess that you don't know by any chance who played upper crewman?

19. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

No, I can't identify that actor.

20. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

He has what casting directors would have classed as a generic southern English working class accent. Like most of the bit players in ANTR, he is representative of a type rather than an individual - in this case a 'jobsworth' crew member who doesn't really know what's going on.