Stewards

There are Mess stewards on the deck crew, engine crew and places like that. Was their job just to hang around in the mess rooms and take food orders and bring up the food or something of the sort? Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Christa.

I suspect that in the firemen's and sailors' messes the "diners" would grab their own meal, whereas in the officers' messes they would have been waited on, so to speak.
In addition to the duties you mentioned, the mess stewards also cleaned up after meals and maintained the tidiness of their mess areas.

Thanks Chris,

That's not too bad a job. Did the officers take their meals around the same time or did the Mess Steward have to hang around till they each finished their watch?

Christa.

Christa, the junior officers had meals at whatever time fitted their watches. The seniors seem to have a friendly arrangement to relieve each other for meals during watches. Lightoller and Murdoch certainly did. Captain Smith pleased himself, subject to the needs of the ship. He could eat whenever and wherever he pleased.

For a description of life as a mess steward and general dogsbody, you can't beat David Haisman's Peggy on a Skin Boat on this site.

B

Brenda Franklin

I am wondering if anyone has any further information on Alan Vincent Franklin, a photo perhaps, parents name? Anyone with a link to that name? Thank you.

B

Brenda Franklin

Thank you Trent, I should be able to find him on the 1881 census then. I have visited his gravesite, and as a Franklin, thought I would like to know more about him. Sincere thanks.

Brenda,
Here, below, is my printout for Mr. Franklin - I hope it helps.
You mention his grave site above - can you supply the details for me please? I will then update my Memorials BOok.
Thanks in advance -
Brian J. Ticehurst - Southampton UK
Franklin, Alan Vincent. Home address: Ergemont, Newton Road, Bitterne Park, Southampton. Occupation - Saloon Steward. 29 years old. (Born in Warwick, Warwickshire).
Body number 62. Estimated age 30. Hair light. Clothing:- Steward's coat, vest and pants, green overcoat, ''A. Franklin'' on shirt. Effects:- Corkscrew, metal belt, keys, metal watch and chain, knife, rubber purse. Second class Steward number 9.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 415. Franklin, Blanche, widow. Children: Alan Vincent and Blanche Elsie. All class D dependants.
(From the Minutes of Titanic Relief Fund, Liverpool Area Committee, December 1st 1915).
No. 415. Franklin, Mrs. B. Address for cheques: The National Provincial Bank of England Limited, London Street, Norwich. Net monthly allowance to widow £3 7 2d one child £1 1 8d total £4 8 10d.

B

B

Brenda Franklin

Thank you Brian for your email, which contains more information than I had previously. I believe I have found him on the 1901 census, which contains very few Alan/Vincent Franklin's. The headstone and body are at Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, N.S., about an hour from our home. Very moving to see all the graves, with all the same dates. Any other information you require?

S

Stephen Homewood

2nd Class Stewards - tips

Does anyone know what a 2nd class Steward - earning £3 15s a month and that only when signed on for a passage - would make in tips?

I'm trying to build a picture of the life of steward J.T.Wood, my great-grandfather with wife and 2 daughters at home and signing on as 10 years younger than he in fact was. Ageism then too?

The actual amount earned in tips on a particular voyage depended on luck to some extent - some passengers were a lot more generous than others, and some gave nothing at all. But a steward would be very unlucky to earn less than half as much again as his wages in tips, and it wasn't uncommon for the tips to amount to more than the basic pay, especially for an old hand who knew just how to impress 'his' passengers. Total earnings of £5-6 a month would be typical, but the unpaid time between signings could amount to anything up to 4 months in a year.

S

Stephen Homewood

Thanks Bob,

£50 a year was not much. I suppose it would be equivalent to around £5000 today.

In terms of modern purchasing power it would be about £3000, Stephen - not bad by the standards of the time, when even the junior officers on Titanic earned the equivalent of less than £5000. James would of course have had his bed and board provided during voyages, but he needed to buy his own uniform and pay for its upkeep in perfect condition. The 'widow's application' document linked to his biography page is interesting in that £5 a month was claimed to compensate for the loss of his income - a good indication of his earnings including tips.