Stockholm still sailing now MV Athena

Mar 28, 2002
Well, the Stockholm is still carrying passengers. After many refits and numerous identities, she has become the MV Athena, of Lisbon-based Classic International Cruises.

The specification of the ship, with detailed information on it's accommodations and type of passengers it carries:

http://www.choosingcruising.co.uk/Cruiseweb/ShpDetailsQuery.asp?nShp=124&nLin=4&nOperator=Classic+International+Cruises

A typical itinerary, this one for 5th June 2004 Baltic cruise:

http://www.seafarercruises.com/special_offers_current/special_offer_2005/special2005_baltictreasure12nights_mvathena.htm

A link to a full current ship list with previous identities:

http://www.cybercruises.com/shiplist.htm

Cheers,

Boz

Apr 27, 2005
The Italians who purchased her from the East Germans, sent her to Genoa for refitting. When she arrived the newspaper's declared, "The Ship of Death has Arrived". Poor old "Stockholm" doesn't even look like her old self anymore. At least she still runs.

Mar 28, 2002
Well, I woke up on board Fjordland's MS Jupiter in Bergen, Norway on Monday morning this week, I pulled open the curtains of our deck 6 suite to see - the Athena. I had no idea she was going to be in town. I took loads of piccies but until I get my laptop in some sort of working order, I can't post them yet! Bugger!

Cheers,

Boz

Mar 28, 2002
Well, the long-threatened photos are here.

Taken in Bergen on 2nd May in dismal weather. Hope the shots are big enough for you to use, Chris.

96432.jpg

The Stockholm / Athena and me!

96433.jpg

96434.jpg

The Saga Ruby (ex-Coronia) just visible over the bow.

96435.jpg

96436.jpg

Leaving Bergen, the stern of the Athena.

96437.jpg

The Saga Ruby and the Athena together.

96438.jpg

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Great photos there, Ian, especially of the stern aspect. The ship looks like she's recieved some very lavish and close attention over the years. The way she's been altered however, you would never know that this ship is half a century old.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Lovely pics, thanks for sharing them.

Takes a brave man to sit directly in front of this baby with his back turned. She has been known to clobber things that blocked her path...

BTW, tecchies here may be able to explain what the thinking is behind that stern. It must surely serve some practical function, because it certainly isn't there for its good looks!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>because it certainly isn't there for its good looks!<<

I wouldn't argue with that! As to it's function, I have no real idea. It might help if I saw a photo of this area as it is now that was taken in drydock. Seeing what's below the waterline could tell me a thing or two. Short of that, this may have been nothing more then a way of adding some hull volumn so something deemed essential could be installed. Whatever it is, I think it's worth noting that it's never been repeated with any other ship so it may not have been a success.

Apr 27, 2005
Of course nobody can say without talking to the shipwrights, but what about a collector for the upward flow of screw turbulence. Could it channel the energy that would be lost upwards to the surface, and hopefully apply it to the forward propulsion of the ship? It would make for huge fuel savings provided the theory worked.
Other design changes in the ship I've noticed are the high sides having been cut down and her icebreaker bow gone replaced. Almost impossible to call her the same ship, although her power plant and interior must remain to some large degree. And actually, it's remarkable she was rebuilt to that great and extent without total replacement of the vessel.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Re Athena ex-Stockholm:

I would call that a sponson. Perhaps she needed more buoyancy down aft or longitudinal stability if she had developed a propensity to slam arising from her considerable modifications.

We need to know more...

Noel

Aaron Mattner

Jan 26, 2016
Apparently the 'duck tail' stern adds to her speed and stability. She has been repowered with 2 Wärtsila diesels.