Stockholm still sailing now MV Athena

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Basically, the "Stockholm" remains a symbol of poor navigation, a cover-up, and the terribly gory deaths of people both in the bow and on the "Doria".

True, but poor navigation on whose part? While it is possible that Carstens-Johannsen on the Stockholm's bridge underestimated the distance between the two approaching ships, not many now believe the theory that Stockholm's radar settings were wrong. Moreover, while they were rapidly approaching the fog bank that the Andrea Doria was in, the Stockholm itself had not yet encountered any fog; this explains why they did not sound their own fog horn.

Captain Calamai on the Andrea Doria on the other hand, was still bowling his ship along at almost 22 knots through fog. The ship's officers had not followed proper radar procedures or used the plotting equipment available in the chartroom adjacent to the bridge of their ship to plot and then calculate the course, position and speed of the other (approaching) ship. Thus, they failed to realize Stockholm's speed and course. When the collision course became apparent, Calamai ordered a 4-degree port turn instead of the established SOP of turning hard to starboard and pass the approaching ship port to port, thus effectively steering his ship into the path of the oncoming Stockholm.

Also, I understand that Italian maritime laws specified that empty fuel tanks must be pumped with seawater to provide ballast, something that Calamai had not ordered. Therefore, when the starboard tanks flooded after the collision, the air-filled port tanks provided unwanted excessive buoyancy, contributing to the heavy list and making the port lifeboats practically unusable.

T

TOWER3

Arun, Doulos has nothing much going for her, except that she dates from 1914. She was originally a freighter but was made into a real liner, complete with swimming pool. Like Astoria, she's been hacked about until little original remains.
That is why I see the MV Astoria being possibly preserved.

PRR5406

PRR5406

The technical aspects of the collision seem to sharpen depending on which ship's bridge one is standing upon. Most accepted evidence exonerates Calamai and his officers. Carstens Johannson has very little backing viewpoint. I won't argue it.

O

OceanWolf978

As for everyone who is practically debating about whether to save her or not, she’s been bought by an American millionaire named Brock Pierce. She will sail (according to an article I saw) “between Lisbon and the port of Funchal, in the island of Madeira”.

O

OceanWolf978

As for everyone who is practically debating about whether to save her or not, she’s been bought by an American millionaire named Brock Pierce. She will sail (according to an article I saw) “between Lisbon and the port of Funchal, in the island of Madeira”.
Apparently, she had a collision with the Seatrade Orange in Feb of this year. She was put on the market again after Brock Pierce’s plans were abandoned, then had an auction in May of this year which was unsuccessful. Now in Sep 2022, she still stays in Rotterdam, her fate uncertain.