Storms and Rough Seas

A

Andrew Johnston

I must point out that the picture of the Carnival Conquest is actually a painting I believe. Those ships are not designed to tackle that type of weather anyways. The QM2 is, however.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Sorry Andrew your Wrong this is REAL I
Ship "CARNIVAL TRIUMPH"
Date 9/17/2002
Position N44:53:68
W57:16:66
Source Aerial Surveliance Canadian Gov't associates Maritime Survelliance who also work with the USCG IIP out of Newfoundland
OK???

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Andrew
you wrote
Wrong this is REAL I

I too couldn't believe it.
I accept your answer is B****y Hell! not only because t's great photo but because i wouldn't want to be forward of her radomes.

Good shots all round!

Thanks for the pic and the thread. may it be prolific.

regards

martin

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Thanks for the support Regretfully I have a message from Mr. Barber je is going to pull the pictures unless I can prove I own them which I do but am not going to embarass the official agency that sent me this particular picture by asking them for a letter. I know they verified that they took it and it has been posted, published many many times before as were ALL the others except my QE2 one So sorry if he pulls them then it is members loss not mine.]

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
#1 resized as per MB
Source Maritime Surveillance St Johns Newfoundland. Note this picture has been published many times before but this is the first time I can offer proof it is real as I Have a good relationship with the above company associated with the Canadian Gov't and the USCG IPP

85610.jpg

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
#2 resized a photo given to me by Commodore ridley Cunard lines many moons ago. He said the next wave went over the bridge to the base of the first funnel

85613.jpg

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
#3 Given to me by QE2 Tech staff who grabbed this shot off of Australia.Who said I could use it in my lectures or anyway I wanted... Which way would you go Left? Right? or About Face??

85616.jpg

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know that I'd worry about it too much. It looks like your typical rain squall to me. The seas aren't choppy or anything so it's not as if that would be a problem. I'd be more concerned about visibility myself. Hitting things at sea can spoil your day.

Ask the Titanic!

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
#4 resized AMB & AMP
AMB=ATSA My Boat (QE2)
AMP=ATSA My Picture taken by QE2 photographer with permission to use in my shows and whatever as long as If it were published in print to credit QE2 photography Dept. And I have more some taken with my cheap camera...Whoops forgot to insert picture stand by coming next
Hope now all four of these now satisfy the criteria and don't get pulled as I was told they were going too by MB

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
MAB, Just thinking might be a good idea to remove the first few posts of mine that you removed the pictures from so when persons enter this thread they will not see blank entires with photo removed and give up instead of scrolling further down the page to see the new pictures??????Jon

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Jon, super photo #3 above I saw months and months ago somewhere on the web; and thought it was so 'ominous', I filed it away. I recall showing it to others. I've no idea where it was I first came across it. But, I suspect the "squall" was actually a major international newsmedia item. And, a 'natural event' - as well!

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Hi Regarding the Queen Mary photo in the storm a few items above, i thought you all might like to read an excerpt from an e-mail I got today from a retired Cunard Captain. I don't think he will mind me sharing this.. HERE TIS
"Sorry I forgot to also thank you for the picture of QM thumping into a huge head sea. Actually I had seen it before and well remember when the same thing happened to me when I was a junior officer there in about 1950. My senior officer at the time was named Trevor Sheehan, when she took this tremendoud sea over the bow, as she was diving into a head swell and doing about thirty knots. There was a great deal of damage -- the foredeck was partly cleared, ventilators were snapped off and companionways smashed. At the time we had quite a number of film stars on board, such as Spencer Tracey, Hedy Lamaar, Doris Day, etc., and on arrival in NY all the newshounds and photographers were there to interview them. When they observed all the damage as we came alongside, they took pictures of the mess and forgot all about the passengers."

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
70,000 plus tons playing porpoise in the North Atlantic QE2 en route to New York. Note the foghorn forward. A couple of waves later it was ripped out by the roots, sailed over the ship and landed in the pool aft. It was claimed by Peter Warwick (no relation to Commodore Warwick) of the Cruise Staff who had the Captain autograph it and took it home and made a coffee table with it.
85672.jpg

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [ Greetings Martin, Glad you liked the pic. It is fun out there when this happens and myself, well in weather like that I crave food Burgers with lots of onion, mayo pickles and ketchup and fries galore, thats one way to insure you have plenty of room at your table. You should have been with us when we brought the Cunard Princess over to New York from Italy through some beauty's like force 12 and seen the captains face when I brought my burgers to the bridge. Gee he wouldn't take a bite when I offerred him one but the staff captain swiped a whole one and the captain just shook his head muttering something about gluttons for punishment Will dig those pics up someday and post them.That is one way to insure you have plenty of room at the table. So take your camera and get some nice shots and don't drop it overboard. Bon Voyage Jon ]

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
As promised dug out some pics of the Cunard Princess positioning voyage Italy to NY via Barcelona so here a 3 pictures and a copy of the weather log. Sorry the log is a bit weathered and you may have to copy and save and then enlarge but it will give you an idea of what it can be like out there. Here she is just before we left.Oh, yes we made it to NY Cheers Jon
85712.jpg