Stowaways

P

Patrick J. Lemieux

Hi everyone.
I am not sure if this subject has been covered somewhere on the message board and my apologies if I missed it.

Simple question is, were there any reports or rumors of any stowaways on the Titanic ?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Ottawa, Ontario

J

Jeremy Lee

I remember reading from somewhere that there were 4 stowaways but don't know if this is true or not.
Huh

P

Patrick J. Lemieux

Jeremy,
Thanks ....I'll continue my search. [if] there were 4 or any I doubt they survived...

Thanks
Happy

J

Jeremy Lee

I don't know, but be sure to count out the 8 Chinese who are popularly said to be stowaways, but in fact they bought tickets.

Reactions: Arun Vajpey
P

Patrick J. Lemieux

Gotcha....I assume [if] there were any stowaways, and survived it would have been front page news......

again thanks..

J

Jeremy Lee

But again, do you think the stowaways would publicly declare themselves as stowaways? Most of the passengers tickets and passes etc. were lost, so they could just say they were fare-paying passengers which lost their tickets/pases in the sinking.....

Donald J A Smith

Donald J A Smith

What an interesting thread! Whether or not he actually was, a lady who survived mentions, I seem to recall, one being discovered in the bottom of her lifeboat. 'Watch this space' - for possible stowaways!

P

Patrick J. Lemieux

Jeremy,
I know they would not declare themselves stowaways and I am not even sure if there were stowaways on board how they would have made it through US "customs", I assume a passenger manifest existed, my theory I guess would be in the heat of the tragedy throwing a false name would not have raised a red flag as it would have under normal circumstances...a "stowaway" could say they made a mistake on his/her name, arguing names after such a tragedy would have been the last thing on the person processing the survivors...again it's theory I have thought about and that is "stowaways" and more specifically [if] there were any and [if] they were amongst the survivers...

Cheers

B

Bob Godfrey

Note that the term 'stowaway' was used at the time in reference to people who had no legitimate place in the lifeboats, not the Titanic itself. All survivors were documented on the Carpathia and the details later checked out against the ticket and crew lists. The only way a stowaway could have escaped detection throughout would have been to avoid contact with the officers on both ships as well as the immigration authorities in New York - quite an achievement. Or perhaps to have claimed the identity of a genuine ticket holder who was known to have died and was not known by any other survivor. Again, not an easy prospect. The closest thing to a stowaway perhaps was the crew member who boarded the Titanic using stolen papers. He died in the sinking and his true identity will probably never be known.

P

Patrick J. Lemieux

Bob,
Good point and an oversight on my part, but people will try anything and I would never rule out the slim possibility someone may have managed to "beat" the odds....

Thanks

J

Jeremy Lee

>>crew member who boarded the Titanic using stolen papers<<

Would a White Star crew member be so desperate to sail on the new Titanic?
Smile

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Well, since White Star doesn't exist anymore, I don't think we have to worry about it.

P

Patrick J. Lemieux

The issue at hand is "is it possible ?" that stowaway(s) managed too make it onboard, even survive and manage too elude the authorities both on the Carpathia and US customs/immigration officials....I guess maybe it's a question that can't be answered or it's not important 91 years later....

L

Lester Mitcham

Hi Bob,

You mention a "crew member who boarded the Titanic using stolen papers. He died in the sinking and his true identity will probably never be known."

To whom please do you refer?

If Thomas Hart then I now believe [thanks to findings/conclusions made by Hermann Soeldner] that Thomas Hart of Liverpool [who turned up at his mother's home claiming his papers had been stolen] was never signed on the Titanic as crew. - He made up a story for his mother. - However a Thomas Hart; who was born in Manchester [the crew member of White Star records]; but lived in Southampton was onboard and died. I understand that his sisters received payment from the Titanic Relief Fund for his loss.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>The issue at hand is "is it possible ?" <<

Possible? Yes. Probable?

Well, that's a different story. Stowaways were always something of a problem, but the simple fact is that they usually got caught because all else aside, sooner or later, they had to get a bite to eat from somewhere. Even in the crowded conditions of steerage, a strange new face appearing out of nowhere would almost certainly draw some attention.