Strange abbreviation Teg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
I have found a strange abbreviation by a book that I would like to get: T.e.g.

The context:
8vo. 1st edition. T.e.g. NF/VG

Any ideas what T.e.g. stands for? Probably something simple, but I cannot seem to guess it.

Best regards,

Kalman Tanito

Jun 4, 2000
Hey Kalman,
(Hauska tavata
happy.gif
- and that's about as much as I know)

Nothing peculiar, you might just be more used to ge/aeg/gt as the abbreviation:

t.e.g./T.E.G. = top edge gilt

Cheers,F

ps now you have to tell us what the book is...

Oct 13, 2000
like any industry, the used book business has a lingo all its own. back in the "good 'ol days" when bookdealers were a lot more haughty than nowadays, people were judged on their knowledge of this stuff. one of the very useful results of the internet is that about 80% of this unnecessarily vague language has been done away with.

just for fun, here is an actual ca1900 book catalog description. give yourself a gold star if you can figure out what all the abbreviations mean!

Landor, A. Henry Savage. IN THE FORBIDDEN LAND. AN ACCOUNT OF A JOURNEY INTO TIBET. 2 vols. 1st ed. NY & L: Harper, 1899, xvi+307, xii+250pp, 8vo. 58 pls, num txt illus and 1 fold map. Or cl, sl rbd, first leaves of vol 1 sl fxd, ow VG, t.e.g.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Fiona,

Samoin :) (meaning: the same!), and thank you for the explanation. The book is the slipcased edition of the Sarnoff biography by Lyons (of which I also have the common one, signed by Sarnoff himself)

Michael,

Collecting Titanic and liner books for fifteen years (hey, I ordered my first, "Titanic and Her Era" exactly then, in 1987!), I think I have gotten pretty good at book abbreviations. Let me try to tackle the task you set:

2 volumes, 1st edition, New York and L...:, Harper, 1899, preface of 16 pages + 307 pages in the first volume and preface of 12 pages and 250 pages in the second, the book size is octavo, 58 plates, numerous illustrations in the text and a folding map. *Or* closed, slightly rubbed, first leaves of volume slightly foxed, otherwise very good, top edge gilt.

The Or is the only one that leaves me buffed, and I am not sure if L stands for Lansing or some other place.

Not quite a gold star, but pretty good for a foreigner, huh?

Best regards,

Kalman

Oct 13, 2000
Kalman, you got it pretty much right on. Bravo!

you had the right idea with the "L", just the wrong city. L was used for London.

"or cl" stands for original cloth, which is the binding material that covers the boards of the book that make up the covers (as opposed to paper over boards or a leather binding).

you earned that gold star!
best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Status
Not open for further replies.