Strange but True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Ford

Nov 30, 2000
Did any of you guys know that the night the Titanic sank,that a film was being showed in 2nd class,the name of the film was The Poseidon Adventure,it was a about an upside down liner just like in the poseidon adventure we all know,that's real odd

Nov 2, 2000
Thomas, I don't mean to sound sceptical, but where in the world did you hear that at? I've never heard of them even being able to show movies of any kind of the Titanic let alone the Poseidon Adventure.

Michael.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Michael K; Try http://www.snopes.com/, the Urban Legends website. Apparently, there may be something to this.(Maybe!) Whether the Titanic had a portable movie set or not, an early, black and white silent version of The Poseidon Adventure existed back in 1911. The version we all know and "love" with Gene Hackman & freinds was a modern remake.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Nov 2, 2000
Thanks, Michael! I went there though and found nothing about the Poseiden Adventure. BTW, how close was the original to the 70s version? Were they both overturned by Psunami's? The funny thing is, psunami's would actually go unnoticed at mid-sea! LOL The only place there are felt is near inlets or shallow water!

Michael.

Nov 2, 2000
Nevermind, Michael, I found it. Took awhile, because it wasn't in the Titanic section. Have you ever read this in any Titanic book? I did notice, this web site appears to be legit as far as most of the other truths vs. myths. Really wierd! Could you imagine the passengers that passed through knowing the Titanic was sinking and then seeing those second class passengers watching Poseiden Adventure?

Michael.

M

Morgan Eric Ford

This particular section of the snopes web page is a parody. Note the title "The Repository of Lost Legends" (TRoLL for short). The rest of the web page is "real" urban legends. Don't believe everything you see in HTML!

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Speaking of urban legends, I was at B& N today and came across a book full of them. The last story was of a Russian spy ship (at the height of the cold war) coming across a frozen body of a woman in Edwardian style clothes. Upon examination they discovered the woman carried documents which indicated she had been a passenger aboard the Titanic. The Russians kept quiet about this because if they had revealed their position, the U.S. would have been aware of their spy mission. Anyone aware of any documentation to the authenticity of this story, or shall it remain an urban legend?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's an urban legend. Let's face it, any bodies in the water would have been taken care of by wind, wave, sharks, and decomposition within a scant few weeks. The Cold War, that period of time in which spy ships would become a reality, was a good four decades off.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks Sam.
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

M

Mike Shetina

To all,
On The Snopes page there is a link to imdb. The internet movie database. Its a forgery!!!!!! When you search IMDB for it it dosent exist on the regular imdb. And when you go to the actors links the poseidon is not there. That site is nothing but a bunch of lies.
Hope this clears the matter up!
Mike Shetina

Jul 29, 2001
If anyone has had the trouble I did looking this up, the "Poseidon Adventure" Titanic page is accessed through the "Lost Legends" section of the Snopes page, found in Michael Standart's link above.
After you've read the story, and checked the IMDb link near the bottom of the page, you need to click on "More Information About This Page", just above the IMDb link, where the awful truth is then revealed.
This superb story deserves a wider audience !!!!

Dec 31, 2000
One would think that if a movie were being shown on Titanic, there would be talk of it from the survivors. Of all the survivor stories I have read so far, you would think somebody would mention it, especially Mr. Beesley.

Beverly

Status
Not open for further replies.