Question Structure on starboard bow in Belfast footage

Apr 6, 2020
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can provide information as to what the large hanging structure attached to Titanic's starboard bow is, in the footage of her entering the graving dock in Belfast (the only known moving pictures of the ship on the surface)? Seems to be a large block attached to the starboard forecastle railings, with two chunky appendages hanging down most of the height of the ship's side. Clearly something to do with the fitting out, or perhaps the specific operation of manoeuvring the ship into the dock, but what is it and what was it used for? The first minute or so here:

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

Bo Bowman

Dec 23, 2019
Worland, Wyoming
I have absolutely no clue, and am often wrong. However, it vaguely resembles the trash-dumping chute we had at the ship's stern when I was in the Navy. That was back in the early 70s, and I'm sure trash isn't dumped as casually today as it was back then. The hooded appearance of this device was to keep debris from blowing back on deck, and the chute directed it downward. In those halcyon days, folks didn't fret much about debris in the harbor. If my assumption id correct, attaching that device would be the first step in a visit to the yard.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Alex Clark

Mar 24, 2012
Lancashire
I concur. To me it’s reminiscent of the chutes used in construction generally. My first though was that it’s a for lobbing bits of gash overboard.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's a long drop toilet for the workers. They were quite casual about such things in those days.

• Wow