Stuart Kelly's Website

Jul 10, 2005
Stuart,

You have one of the most wonderful and most informational websites I had ever seen on the Olympic and WSL. I thank you for your hard work and dedication to it.

B

update!

Well it didnt come to pass. I did get a guy to do the website for me but the dreamweaver templates he came up with (He didn't finish until January) weren't quite what I was looking for. I'm having to learn Dreamweaver myself and to take on the rather arduous task of learning how to do graphics. It'll be back up again someday.

In the meantime, I'm going to write an article for this very website entitled "The Olympic Dispersal Auction of 1935" I aim to have it drafted by the weekend. Here's Hoping!.
22955.jpg

Many hours of work have created this draft entrance and contents page. I was quite pleased with the animated gif. I found it lying on my hard drive, I can't remember if I created it or if someone did it for me!
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/castlebrae/

If anyone's got any web building tips (i.e. the idiots guide to creating a website with lots of photographs) then do let me know. The time consuming nature of websites is really what put me off continuing with the updates back in 2001.

Thanks to Brian Hawley for the large picture on the entrance page, I borrowed it from his website:
http://www.bytenet.net/rmscaronia

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Stuart, all I can say is just keep up the good fight. For all that she was the first of her class, very popular in her day, and the longest lived, the Olympic is all but forgotten today and she deserves better. I think you've got a good start on that website.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
It's so pleasing to see quality sites on this subject, and this certainly has all the hallmarks of heading towards being a front-ranker. I'll be watching the development of the site with great interest.

C

Christine Geyer

It's going to be great Stuart! I'm so curious to see you finishing your site. I have just started to work on an own website and I feel with you. My monitor was already very close to beeing thrown out of the window on various occasions ;)

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
I've tried several times to contact you offering assistance. [MSN & Email]
I also know of 2 others that also tried [in vain] last year to offer technical assistance and time, yet unfortunately they never even received an acknowledgement or the correspondence.
Stuart, why continue to ask for assistance [or help] when myself and other people I know have in the past offered their knowledge and expertise only to have it ignored.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Stuart, on the positive side, I love the quality of the pictures, especially the fine detail on the grand staircase. Photos of the relics of Olympic are as near as we'll get to quality colour photos of Titanic. This job is well worth doing.

On the negative side, you are making basic errors in designing your site. You are using graphics to do the work of text and very big graphics at that. If you really want to insist on using graphics for your menu on the second page, you should reduce them to little thumbnails of around 2KB each. One of yours is 77Kb. Personally, I dislike sites that have a home page that is mere eye-candy but carries an "Enter" link. (Even that is 10Kb!) I suggest getting rid of the "Enter" graphic and putting a purely text menu on the home page. You can use a table to make it neat and can make it pretty with a style sheet.

I won't say my own home page is perfect, but note that I have more than 30 links on it. There are a few little graphics. Note how quickly it opens. http://users.senet.com.au/~gittins/

A tip I heard recently is to make an exception and use a graphic for your e-mail address link. It makes it harder for the spammers who trawl the web for addresses. I must do it myself. I hope I've been constructive.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. The folder on my hard drive I've got all the photos in is a bit of a dog's breakfast at the moment, I've got thumbnails of all different shapes and sizes and most of the photos need editing of some sort.

I'll get the navgatation sorted out before I put the first page of photos up, which will prbably be the First Class Lounge as it is the easiest.

Stuart

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Speaking personally, I have always found Stuart to be very responsive and appreciative of feedback and expertise. It is part and parcel of what makes him the researcher of the fine calibre that he is.

Just to let everyone know, after a few false starts over the years, I've begun to work on my website in earnest. I've registered the domain www.rmsolympic.org for two years and have started putting pages up. I've also opened the twitter account www.twitter.com/rmsolympic1935

I hope you will enjoy the finished product! As a preview, you can see the Library page at http://bit.ly/fXGZCw

Stuart

{Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread in a different subtopic, has been moved and combined with two other threads about Stuart Kelly's web site. MAB]

May 6, 2011
Dear Stuart, Your site is excellent, however I find it hard to read white writing on coloured background. You certainly bring out the beauty of Olympic's fittings and you are getting me interested in her. I would love to do something similar for Mauretania, but first I'll have to learn how to make a website. Keep going, it is good to see some of her woodwork is still around.