Studying miniscule plans is HARD

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I'm looking at some deck plans of Titanic and Olympic trying to spot any changes other than the obvious (officers quarters. B deck, A deck promenade etc.), but I'm using the Olympics plans in "Ocean Liners of the Past" and Titanic in Eaton and Haas' "Triumph and Tragedy". I'm asuming that these plans are more-or-less what was built. Is this a safe assumption?

Best wishes

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Paul,

You say: "... I'm asuming that these plans are more-or-less what was built."

In general yes. I understand there are a few problems. For your project a copy of Bruce's deck plans would probably be more useful than his book.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but I'm using the Olympics plans in "Ocean Liners of the Past" and Titanic in Eaton and Haas' "Triumph and Tragedy". I'm asuming that these plans are more-or-less what was built. Is this a safe assumption?<<

They are for the most part. What Eaton and Haas did...or so I've been given to understand...was redraft the Harland & Wolff deckplans with all the revisions made to the Titanic then copyrighted the result. The problem with them is that you need a magnifying glass or really good eyes to used them. I have a opy of the NARA plans which I use from time to time, and I also have the TITANIC General Arrangement Plans put together by Bruce Beveridge which are by far the most accurate available anywhere short of getting the actual builders plans for yourself.

All else aside, they're a helluva lot easier to read.
wink.gif

B

Bruce Beveridge

Mike,

What E&H did was take the Limitation of Liability plans, which show the ship as she was finally fitted out, and made edits to it based on some other plans. Unfortunately they made some bad edits (i.e. the galley store in the 4th funnel deck house). They should have left the original alone, but just cleaned it up. What was printed in the end papers of T&T is close to the original, minus the editing errors. The Limitation plans (also referred to as the NARA plans) also lack a few doors here and there, and are a bit twisted as time has not been good to those originals. All in all, that is how the ship looked, and the H&W G/A plans they were selling for some 75 bucks a few years ago were early renderings, and are less accurate.

Bruce