Styles of staterooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rolf Vonk

Hi there,

Is there anyone who can give me some information about the cabinstyles on board Titanic? I know the grand suite rooms are all decorated in authentic styles. The normal staterooms are decorated in the so called Baronial style. But does this also count for cabins in the forward parts of first class on A, B, and C deck? They seem to have another size and furniture.

Hope someone could give me more information

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Well here I am. I'm no expert though, but I do try to learn (as an aside, nice to have you 'aboard' again Charles).

All cabins forward on A deck, B deck, C deck, D deck and throughout E deck were the same style - that is the wall paneling was the same, just plain neat looking white walls. However the furniture throughout these decks and cabins varied. I've never really been able to find which cabins had which beds, but I know that the various cabins had wooden beds (as far as I know one style) and there were various styles of brass beds. All of these (above mentioned) cabins seem to have the same style of dressing tables, but there were (I think) two varieties of washbasins. The styles of chairs would have also varied (i.e. all cabins on A deck have a certain style and all on B deck have another style) same goes for the sofas.

B deck aft was fitted with suites, but the servants' cabins apparently had mahogany paneling (not the usual white walls).

Also there were a few décor suites on C deck, but unlike the Olympic where most of the period style cabins were on C deck, the Titanic had only a few period style suites on C deck. Most of the rest were furnished in the H & W Louis XV style, which was still quite nice and the rest (the more aft cabins on C deck) were again white paneling, although the bottom 1/3 of the wall was wooden, cabins A36 and A37 were also furnished in the same style.

Andrews' cabin in the 1997 movie is the wrong style, looks more like a C deck Louis XV cabin — whilst I’m on the subject of this, also from the movie I get the impression that Molly Brown was in a C deck or B deck suite. This is not so. She was in a forward B deck cabin and it did not look like it was featured in the movie. She had the simple white paneled cabin (as described above) with I believe a brass bed (not sure but this could point at B2 — Charles and others please take note this could be wrong as I’m not sure about what type of beds were fitted in what cabins in the forward section of B deck).

Daniel.

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Daniel,

Good you have arrived! You've helped me very well. I didn't know the aft C deck suites were undecorated suites. I do agree with the story about Molly Brown's suite in the movie. It showed her room in the Georgean style. Beside, the furniture of that suite in the movie, didn't correspond with the real first class deck plans.
By the way, you've talked about Thomas Andrews suiteroom. That must have been the same as the suiteroom of Father Brown. Their exists a pic of a part of Father Browns room which is probably representing one of those H&W styles.

Greetings
Rollie

Dec 13, 1999
It's indeed great to be back, Daniel. Sorry if I haven't emailed you in a while. By the way, what's up with you?

Has Maggie Brown ever recalled having a brass bed in her staterook anyway? I don't have the transcripts of her story with me at the moment, so I prefer not to take any guesses.

I do hope I'm back in the Titanic buisness for good. I'll try to be more frequent, and send you the things you requested and that are still waiting on my desk.

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Thank you Charles, looking forward to hearing from you!

Rolf: If I'm correct there were only 10 cabins (2 of which were sitting rooms) on Titanic's C deck that were decorated in period styles.

I thought Molly's room from the movie looked more Regency style.

Yes Andrew's cabin was the same as Browne's and if you put Brown'e photo to the mirror, you'll see what Andrews' cabin looked like, and no that's not the Louis XV style that I referred to. If you have the Haas and Eaton, Titanic Triumph and Tragedy, the cabin that they say is C63, where the walls are all paneled in wood, that's the style that I referred to as Louis XV.

I don't actually think that they say it's Louis XV, but it very much resembled the style, so I called it that.

Daniel.

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Sorry Charles, forgot to add one more thing. Yes I had read many years ago that Molly had a brass bed. I wish I knew where I read it from, I have not been able to find it since, I read high and low and still cannot find where I had originally read it.

If my memory serves me right, then also in that same place I read she claimed to have been thrown to the floor and that she had 3 beds in her cabin. I'm not sure how the 3 beds got in there but I do remember ... remembering it! :)

Daniel.

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi there,

I've read your story's. I wonder if it was possible that one of the three beds (that might have been in Molly Brown's stateroom)was a pullman upperberth? I believe there were some cabins on the forward part of B deck with an upperberth.
By the way, I'm very upset now. I didn't know there were only 10 decorated suites on C deck! Tough I'm glad there are some real experts here. Without you all, I'd never knew this.
Greetings,
Rollie

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Daniel,
I forgot to ask you something. Molly Browns stateroom in the suite was panneled in the same style as the suiteroom of Mr. Baxter (B60). I read this one was in the Georgian style. I thought room B 64 was in Regency style. But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know a exactly list of styles on board Titanic. The other point is that some rooms were in the same styles, but from different periodes. Is that correct?
Rollie.

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I've seen pictures of some first class accommodations that didn't look like any great shakes to me. They had the plain white walls as described above and they looked quite cramped. I don't seen much difference between these type of first class cabins and the second class ones.

Perhaps the reason for choosing such a cabin was merely to have access to the other first class amenities?

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Hi,

Rolf, As far as I'm aware there were only 10 decorated suites on C deck. I think Titanic and Olympic had the same amount of decorated suites, it's just that Olympic had most on C deck and some on B deck, while on Titanic all the suites on B deck are decorated and only some on C deck.

Yes I guess the 3rd bed referred to, must have been a Pullman. I can't remember whether it said there were three beds or a cabin fitted for three occupants (in a way that used the word beds).

B60 was decorated in Regency style, C65 (the Penasco cabin) was also decorated in the same style. B64 was decorated in Empire style.

Some rooms were decorated in the same styles, i.e. Empire but they looked different. It's hard to explain without the aid of pictures. C57 was decorated in Empire style, but it was a different one. There were mahogany beds with gilded patterns and the walls were white, with gold borders. B64 didn't have the same beds, it had a canopy bed whilst C57 didn't. B64 had wallpaper. There was Old Dutch and Modern Dutch, cabins B59 and B57/63 (respective number to style) is a good example of that.

Charles, I have read the Gracie account and ANTR and it's not from there. I wish I could remember where I read it from, and I know I am not imagining it, as someone some time ago (Muppet Brown - a relation of Molly's) also said that Molly had a brass bed.

Tracy, There were differences between those cabins. They were furnished slightly better and received better service (the cabins that is). First class had hot and cold running water in their cabins, marble washbasins, single beds (with Pullmans) rather than a bunk, they were larger cabins fitted for less people and you didn't have to be in a cabin with someone you didn't know. You also had control of the heater (i.e. regulate it yourself) something second class couldn't do. Over all, the chairs (which second class did not have) and sofas were better in first than in second. First class had different color schemes throughout the various cabins whilst second-class were either red or green. It might not look too different on photos, but in real life you would have preferred to be in a first class cabin rather than second, as the difference would have been noticeable.

Daniel.

Dec 13, 1999
Muppet Brown! Haha! Daniel, I think it's Muffet Brown! Muppet!

How did you contact her? Does she have anything like a full account in her possession?

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Yes, I remember, and it's funny either way
proud.gif

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi there,
I remember seeing a part of the muppet show last week. Kermit was singing a song (lovesong) with a lovely television star...Tough I can't remember the title of the song.
Tracy asked something about the difference between first and second class cabins. I believe that the first class passengers on E deck only had cold water running in their cabins. Or am I wrong?
Rollie

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Hello,

Ok folks, please read the title of this discussion "Styles of staterooms" not "The Muppet Show!" We might ask Phil to get you a Muppet Show discussion on ET, however it will be entirely irrelevant ...

Anyway, I know her name is Muffet, I didn't realize I made that mistake until it was too late. No Charles, unfortunately I did not contact her, she said this elsewhere on ET, when she was asking if Molly's cabin was decorated in any decor style, I think it's in the cabin section.

I wouldn't say Rolf is wrong. All cabins on A, B, C and D decks did have H & C running water, however not all cabins on E deck did. Either none of them did, or I believe all cabins up to and including E42 did have hot and cold water.

Daniel.

Dec 13, 1999
Well, Daniel you're right. Here's what it says on my first class accomodation plan:

“All staterooms on Boat, A, B, C, D Decks are fitted with hot and cold water supply.”

I have no clue for E-deck. I guess they didn't have running hot water.

D

Daniel Rosenshine

I think they didn't include E deck as certainly not all cabins had h&c water, however it isn’t even mentioned which cabins - if any - had hot water. Originally only cabins up to E42 were part of first class, so I found it hard to believe that those cabins would not have had the extra luxuries, despite being first class.

Perhaps they didn't. Like I said, if any had h&c water it would have been cabins up to E42, otherwise as I'm lead to believe at the moment, none on E deck had hot water.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.