Successful andor famous descendants

G

Graham Pickles

Hi Mike

Got broadband fitted and working it is very impresive super fast.

Now just got to get rid of ME

regards
graham

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Now just got to get rid of ME<<

Naaaaaahhhhhhh...we'ed rather keep you.
happy.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 20, 2000
All,

In a past post I told of Lucy, Lady Duff Gordon's grandson, the late Anthony, Earl of Halsbury, and his years of public service, but I was reminded lately by another descendent that Lucy's niece Juliet, Lady Rhys-Williams, was also influential in politics and business. So I thought I'd tell a bit about this great woman whose memories, through her daughter, have helped me so much in my research.

Juliet Glyn, the youngest of Lucy's sister Elinor's two daughters, was born in 1898. She was fashionably schooled in Paris and Germany and would have made her "debut" in 1916 had World War I not prevented such a luxury. Instead she and her sister Margot joined the service as VADs for the duration of the War. In 1921 Juliet, dressed by her aunt of course, married Sir Rhys Rhys-Williams, at St. George's.

Juliet Rhys-Williams took an early interest in politics and social welfare issues. She served on the boards of the Queen Charlotte Hospital Anaesthetic Fund, the Joint Council of Midwifery, and the Inter-Departmental Committee on Abortion. Correspondence relating to these activities are held in the archives of the Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine.

In 1942 Juliet Rhys-Williams devised a plan of taxation reform by proposing a merger of the National Insurance and Income Tax systems which was adopted by the Liberal Party and formally submitted to a Royal Commission by the Liberals a decade later. Juliet was also a strong advocate of a family allowance paid directly to mothers. In 1948 she presided as Honorary Secretary to the Economic Section of the Congress of Europe and the Hague. 79 boxes of Juliet Rhys-Williams' professional and private correspondence and other documents are preserved in the Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Juliet was also active in the entertainment industry in Britain, chairing a limited company to distribute and protect her mother's books and films, funding experiments in color television, and serving as Governor of the BBC during the time ITV was established. Juliet co-wrote a popular play (with R.J. Minney)called "They Had His Number," which was produced in 1942. She published a novelization of this work in 1947, entitled "49 Chances."

With her husband, Juliet lived mainly in Wales where she was much involved in charities, particularly in aid of poor children in the Rhondda valley region. Their home, Miskin Manor, is now a hotel restored to its former grandeur.

Juliet, Lady Rhys-Williams died in 1964 at the age of 66. Her book "A New Look at Britain's Economic Policy" was published posthumously. Her son, Sir Brandon Rhys-Williams, distinguished himself as an MP and financial strategist until his early death.

Juliet was Lucy Duff Gordon's favorite niece, and Juliet was in turn very fond of her Aunt. There are some poignant (and hilarious) family stories which Juliet's daughter, Susan Glyn, has related.

In her last years, a project of Juliet's was to try to restore the court dress worn by her cousin Esme, Viscountess Tiverton (Lucy's daughter), upon her presentation to Edward VII in 1908. She never finshed the work and it was returned to her nephew Tony Halsbury. This dress with its huge skirt and train and intricately embroidered bodice was found in a box in a cupboard in Tony's house upon his death last year. It is now undergoing conservation at the Museum of Costume at Bath.

Randy

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Great information Randy (as always!) The dress was found in a box?! Wow!!!!
Thanks for sharing this stuff with us.
-kate "always a sucker for a beautiful vintage gown" bortner

H

Helen Chetham

Graham - It seems you too are guilty of messaging topics other than Titanic and other ships: I can't say that Windows ME and your broadband are hot topics in Titanic circles world wide - but we all are guilty of getting off the topic. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention. LOL Otherwise it is inspiring to hear your stories.
I am a decendant of Col John Weir but unfortunatley not overly successful and not famous (yet).
Keep Smiling
Helen Chetham

Mar 20, 2000
All,

"Yet another installment of famous Duff Gordon kin?" I hear the groan go up. I'm afraid so.

In winding down the list, I thought it only fair to mention Cosmo Duff Gordon's spirited young cousin, Lina Duff Gordon, who made a name for herself as a popular travel writer in the early 1900s, somewhat in the vein of their mutual ancestor Lucie, Lady Duff Gordon (nee Austin, 1821-1869), of "Letters from Egypt" fame.

Lina, who married painter Aubrey Waterfield in 1902, was best known for her books on Italy, especially her "Medieval Town" series which included "The Story of Perugia" (1900), "The Story of Assisi" (1901) and "Rome and Its Story" (1904). The latter was beautifully illustrated by her husband. The Waterfields lived with their children in Tuscany where they entertained a circle of literary friends that included D. H. Lawrence. During World War II, Lina Waterfield worked as a political correspondent. She published her autobiography "A Castle in Italy" in 1961. (In it she mentions her cousin Cosmo - and Lucile, too, who made her going away dress.)

Aubrey and Lina Waterfield's daughter Catriana ("Kinta") Beevor (1911-1995), right until her death, spent her summers in Italy in the 15th century villa renovated by her parents. She published a widely acclaimed memoir called "A Tuscan Childhood" shortly before her death. It is gorgeously written. If any of you out there are fond of the romantic movie "Enchanted April" (Shell I'm thinking of you!), then you'll love "A Tuscan Childhood." The beauty of the Italian countryside comes alive in this book; it was one of the inspirations for the film "Tea with Mussolini."

Randy

Mar 20, 2000
All,

Brooke Astor, wife of JJ's son Vincent, was recently awarded a Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy along with Bill Gates, Ted Turner, David Rockefeller, etc.

Brooke Astor turns 100 this month.

In an interview in this months Vogue ("The Gifted Class," pp 526-527), Brooke says:

"I've had a wonderful life and a bad life. I've gone through all kinds of mixed-up things. You know life is true that way and you can't expect to have it good all the time. And you have to give a lot of yourself and think not only of yourself but of the other person."

Good advice. And her next tip really is apropos:

"Try to always help everybody. And if they're absolutely nuts and stupid, then stay away from them."

Randy

14454.png

BROOKE ASTOR (Courtesy: NY Public Library)

Mar 10, 1998
Randy,
In an article on Brooke "Pookie" Astor (who is childless) I read a few years ago there was another quote that I think is quite apropos--

"The last Mrs. Astor will have been the classiest of all."

Dec 12, 1999
On the matter of famous descendants --as noted elsewhere, one descendant of a Titanic victim is the late Katherine Graham, publisher of the Washington Post. She became famous during the Watergate scandal of the 1970s. Some of you may remember Attorney General John Mitchell stated to Reporters Woodward and Bernstein, "Geez, all that cr_p you're putting in that newspaper --- you know, if you print that Katie Graham's going to get her t_t in a ringer!" Ms. Graham was the daughter of Eugene Meyer, Jr., the brother to Titanic disaster victim Edgar Meyer.

Dec 12, 1999
I would like to lead in to the subject a little differently with this post.

To begin with, yesterday we had the opening of the baseball season at the Oakland ball park (Oakland, California). In the adjacent building, the Coliseum, Paul McCarthy was giving a concert. It was quite something.

Let's all join in for a song . . .

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out to the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks,
I, don't care if I ever come back,

and its

Root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
And it's one, two, three strikes you're out,
at the old baaaaall game!!!!"

[Note: when you sing "one, two, three strikes . . ." you are supposed to supposed to thrust out your hand with one (index) finger up, then two, then three --- and then clench your fist with a thumb up (pointed toward the bench) to signify "You're Out!!"]

Now, this leads into the subject: Titanic passenger Edgar Meyer had a sister named Rosalie, who married the nephew of Levi Strauss, Sigmund Stern. Stern later ran Levi Strauss & Co., the jeansmaker that became the largest apparel-maker in the world. In fact, Sigmund and Rosalie's grandson was Walter Haas, Jr., who owned the Oakland Athletics baseball club. His son, Walter J. Haas, only recently resigned from the A's executive administration.

Take me out to the ball game . . .

(Message edited by jcnielsen on April 3, 2002)

(Message edited by jcnielsen on April 3, 2002)

Mar 20, 2000
Chancellor of Brunel University, John Anthony Giffard, 3rd Earl of Halsbury, F.R.S., F. Eng. (1908-2000), grandson of Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon, shown here in a portrait by his nephew, Sir Douglas Anderson, a court painter by appointment to H.M. Queen Elizabeth II.

50880.png

Social welfare activist Juliet, Lady Rhys-Williams (1898-1964), niece of Lucy Duff Gordon.

50881.png

Jun 8, 2002
Thanks, Randy, for sharing those great images. You're fortunate to know some of these people, but it's no wonder they've opened their doors and hearts to you. Your tribute to Anthony Giffard back in 2001 (above) was superb. I'm glad you posted something recently on this thread so that I could stumble across it.

Warmest regards,
Doug

Mar 20, 2000
Hey Doug and Phil,

January 14 was the anniversary of Tony's passing and I wanted to remember him.

Yes, I am fortunate to have gotten to know Lucy's kin, not because they're aristocratic but because they're such warm and generous people. Wealth and titles are impressive, I suppose, but this family is rich in kindness, too.

I'm glad you guys liked the pictures!

Will some of the relatives come to BTS? Well, maybe to the private dinner, if you'd like them as your guests. I'm sure they would enjoy meeting everyone. It will most likely be the two great granddaughters, Tony's daughters.

Randy

R

Rachel Walker

My great grandfather, Mr. Walker (i don't know his first name)had a ticket for Titanic, but he missed it. Or at least that's the story he told. Is there any way for me to find out if this is true? If it is, i guess that makes me a survivor of Titanic. (Sort of anyway.)
Rachel

Mar 20, 2000
Yet another installment of famous/successful Duff Gordon relatives:

Two of Lucy Duff Gordon’s great nieces are still active.

Susan, Lady Glyn (nee Rhys-Williams), who lives in Paris, is a noted sculptor and designer in stained glass. A series of her bronze medallions were once commissioned by the French Mint. The French Ministry of Culture has endorsed her work as well. She is also a poet. One of Lady Glyn’s most recent sculptures is her "Pink Phoenix" which was commissioned by the Princess of Wales Hospital in South Wales in 2001 and was unveiled in the summer of 2003. Lady Glyn is the widow of the writer Sir Anthony Glyn. She is the last relative of Lucy Duff Gordon who actually knew her.

Mrs. Elspeth Chowdharay-Best, who lives in London, is a spokesperson for the British initiative ALERT, an anti-euthanasia education and lobbying group. She has no memory of her famous great aunt but does recall her equally prominent grandmother, novelist Elinor Glyn, Lucy’s younger sister. Mrs. Chowdharay-Best is the widow of the well-known lexicographer and researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary, Dr. George Chowdharay-Best. Mrs. Chowdharay-Best is Elinor Glyn’s literary executor.

Oct 22, 2004
this is an old picture of some of Fr.Thomas R.Byles relatives taken by Albert J.Byles. from left to right my aunt Maude Byles, my grandmother Emily Byles, my uncle George Byles. in front my mother Florence Annie Byles, my uncle Albert Byles. My Grandfather Albert James was a cousin to Fr.Thomas Byles.. and nephew to Sir William Pollard Byles, who was given title for a gift of land to the manchester ship canal.. he died in 1918..