May 27, 2007
quote:

What do you expect? That such a vibrant person will be an immaculate research reporter of minute detail?
No. But I expect an honest out of him. Because as Jim said

quote:

But, keep in mind that the risible quality of THIS section of his narrative taints the rest of it, in much the same way that his evident pride in having lied...oh, pardon me, 'whitewashed'...taints his earlier testimony.

But you too have a point Monica-
quote:

I'd have rather lived his life than be a researcher, I'm afraid. And after each narrow escape, I expect I'd dress up the account a bit.

I myself would hate to walk in his shoes on the Titanic.

The real thing I was stating from my original post was that Lightoller was telling some Tall Tales and that his testimony needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But I sure almost everyone who posts on this board is aware of that fact that there are some inconsistencies in Lightoller's Testimony. But as I also stated he isn't the only one who did a bit of whitewashing. Shoot when the Carpathia arrived in New York and Titanic's Crew found out that they would be subpoenaed I'm sure it became a job requirement of White Star to do a bit of Whitewashing to make the Company look good. But as I stated on my last post "To each their own opinion."​

May 27, 2007
quote:

As far as how he escaped from the sinking ship, you can believe what you want to believe, but I have not seen any proof that it couldn't have happened close to the way he described it keeping in mind that some details are very subjective.

Actually I never doubted the way Lightoller said that he escaped from the Titanic. I have doubts on the crews testimony regarding Steerage (Third Class) and the actual loading of the boats among other things but not Lightoller's manner of escape. Rhoda Abbott's account mirrors Lightoller's account of survival.

Quote From The Titanic Woman Of Sorrows
by Phillip Gowan, Brian Meister, Ben Holme from the site Titanic-Titanic
quote:

She then went under a second time but claimed to be blown out of the water by the explosion of a boiler, resulting in burns to her thighs.

http://www.titanic-titanic.com/article_phil_gowan_bio_rhoda_abbott.shtml

Rhoda Abbott would have not reason to lye about what happened to her and her account matches Lightoller's. The difference being that she was burned and that she made her way to boat A and Lightoller to B.​

Apr 26, 2017
One main reason many lifeboats simply refused ti return to titanic was the fear she would suck them down as she went, but as we know now there was little if any at all. Thoes in and, incharge of the boats were so afraid that this may happen the did not return so at the tine this must have been a pretty valid fear, however that didnt happen I've read so testimony stating the opposite. What caused titainc to go down with almost no suction at all?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
As far as how he escaped from the sinking ship, you can believe what you want to believe, but I have not seen any proof that it couldn't have happened close to the way he described it keeping in mind that some details are very subjective.
Hi Sam! Hope you're well

Actually, if you look at the First Funnel's fidley, you'll notice its pushed Upwards, which supports Lightoller's blast of hot water, which blasted him free.

1987, IFREMER
First Funnel fidley, pushed upwards, supports Lightoller, 1987.JPG

Mr. Lightoller's testimony

Senator SMITH.
Where they have exploded?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
I was sucked down, and I was blown out with something pretty powerful when the ship went down.

Senator SMITH.
After the ship went down?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
Yes.

Senator SMITH.
Just describe that a little more fully. You were sucked down?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
I was sucked against the blower first of all. As I say, I was on top of the officers' quarters, and there was nothing more to be done. The ship then took a dive, and I turned face forward and also took a dive.

Senator SMITH.
From which side?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
From on top, practically midships; a little to the starboard side, where I had got to; and I was driven back against a blower - which is a large thing that shape (indicating) which faces forward to the wind and which then goes down to the stokehole. But there is a grating there, and it was against this grating that I was sucked by the water and held there.

Senator SMITH.
Was your head above water?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
No, sir.

Senator SMITH.
You were under water?

Mr. LIGHTOLLER.
Yes, sir. And then this explosion, or whatever it was, took place. Certainly, I think it was the boilers exploded. There was a terrific blast of air and water, and I was blown out clear.

hope this helps :)