Suggestion for Book

M

Martina Michelini

Hello all,
I am a big Titanic lover, and I accidentally stumbled upon this wonderful website, so I thought to ask for the help of experts
happy.gif

With the 100th anniversary coming soon, I wanted to get myself a good book about Titanic. I don't own any book about it, and I'm looking for a great "encyclopedia" type book, something that would hold everything there is to now about the ship, the voyage, the passangers... Well, the more things/themes, the better I guess. I've already ordered "A night to remember", which seems like a "Titanic bible" of some sort, but I'm looking for something extensive, in one tome, and quite recent, if possible
happy.gif

Can you help me please? I'm so "lost", so many books coming out, I'm really overwhelmed!
Kind regards, and thank you in advance!
Martina

p.s. Sorry for my English, but I'm from Italy so I tend to make some silly mistakes once in a while!

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Greetings Martina,

For a good overall history of the ship and its passengers and crew I would start with these:

Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy by Eaton & Haas
Titanic: An Illustrated History by Don Lynch
Titanic: The Death and Life of a Legend by Michael Davie

I can recommend many more books that deal with more specific aspects of Titanic's life so just let me know what you are looking for. By the way, your English is quite good
happy.gif

Regards,
Matt

J

John O'Malley

Hello, Martina.

Two new books are just coming out which fulfill that exact purpose.

One of them is called "Report on the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Reappraisal" by Samuel Halpern and various other famed Titanic researchers. This is a critical examination of the construction, voyage and sinking of the Titanic from a technical perspective, and it is vividly detailed and answers alot of big questions about the disaster.

The second book is "On a Sea of Glass" by J. Kent Layton, Tad Fitch and Bill Wormstedt. It is probably the encyclopedia book you are looking for. It goes into detail about various aspects of the story, while also telling the story from the human perspective.

Both books are by well-known Titanic researchers who have been studying the ship for many years. The first book is already out, the second is due out shortly.