Sultana steamboat

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
For a start, Brad, it didn't claim more lives than Titanic.
This link is misinformed to the most.
The BIGGER TRAGEDY was that most were school children.
I have a book about this wreck - just ask, and I will send you details.
Regards, Ryan.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
What figures does your book give, Ryan? While estimates vary (understandable, given that the vessel was overloaded), many put the figure at around c.1700 lost.

I'm also curious about your comment that 'most were school children' - most were returning Union soldiers. A high percentage of children lost sounds more like the Eastland or the General Slocum than the Sultana tragedy.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>For a start, Brad, it didn't claim more lives than Titanic.<<

Really? Sultana claimed 1700 according to that article and that is in all likelyhood an underestimate. The recods keeping of the day often left a lot to be desired. The best research indicates that Titanic claimed 1498. Which is greater now?

>>This link is misinformed to the most.<<

Then perhaps you would be so kind as to direct us to some primary source material to back it up.

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
I must be thinking of the General Slocum then. Sorry about that!
Me and my big mouth... :eek:O
He really embarrasses me sometimes.
As I have said before, I ought to think before I speak.
Sorry again.
Regards, Ryan.

Sam Jarvis

Oct 14, 2005
There was a fine chap who used to post on the Titanic newsgroup. Following the influx of n00bs post release of the Cameron flick, his most consistent and, one could argue, constructive contribution to ongoing discussion was 'please check your facts before posting again'.

Another consideration is that books by their very nature are secondary sources and should be treated cautiously lest they trap the unwary.

Haven't we all been there?