Sunday July 1st 1935 Mauretania Departs Southampton 72 Years Ago Tonight

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

At nightfall on Sunday, July 1st, 1935, the "White Queen" slowly pulled away from Berth 108 of the "New Dock" for the last time under the command of Captain A. T. Brown. She was heading for Rosyth and the oxy-acetylene torch; her masts were already cut so she would fit under the Firth of Forth Railway Bridge. This anniversary was on my mind and I thought I'd share this scarce press photo of her final departure from my collection with you.

Best,
Eric

R.M.S. Mauretania: Farewell to the Tyne

R.M.S. Mauretania: The Centennial of her Launch

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hello Eric

Thanks for the reminder.

I'd really like to see the photo, but the link won't cooperate...

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Kyle,

I had neglected to put the address in the link and was just correcting it when you posted - it is working now.

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Lucy,
happy.gif

Thanks!
Here she is on July 2, 1935 passing off Scarborough at around 10 PM. The original image was overexposed by the photographer to create a full moon effect. In fact, the waxing crescent moon had set behind the photographer some hours before this photograph was taken so I re-adjusted the exposure, amplified the light added to her cut-down foremast and gave a warm sepia tone. I imagine this is about what she looked like like that evening.

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

in keeping with the nature of this thread, here she is stopped at Tyneside on the morning of Tuesday, July 3, 1935 at 10 AM, exactly 72 years ago as I post this. This previously unpublished private photograph was taken from a small launch which ventured quite close that day. The Mauretania blew her sirens loudly, brilliant rockets were launched from the bridge and a final message was sent by Captain Brown from the ship to the town that built her some 30 years before. From her forward mast flies a 20-foot Blue Riband proudly stating "1907-1929". It was said many children watching from St. Mary's Island saw their fathers openly weep for the first time.

Best,
Eric

K

Kyle Johnstone

Thanks again.
Gorgeous photo.
How I'd love to get a look at your Mauretania collection!

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
I'll echo that, Kyle!

Yes, Eric, there would have been many a tough Geordie shipbuilder watching with tears running down their cheeks, especially when she steamed northwards until she was out of sight.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Kyle & Hi Lucy
happy.gif

I am glad you are enjoying these images. And finally, with overcast morning skies and accompanied by a half gale, the Mauretania entering Rosyth at about 6 AM, Wednesday, July 4, 1935. She has cleared the Forth Railway Bridge and is near St. Margaret's Hope in the Firth. She is shown just before making her last turn to starboard under Pilot Captain Whince of Leith Salvage and Towage. Soon she would be at the Entrance Lock to the Main Basin where a lone kilted piper played a funeral lament. Within a week she would be in Drydock No. 1 and the process of dismantling one of the greatest liners would begin. In 13 short months she would be gone.

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Brent,

I fixed them for you - not sure why they were gone. I only saved small examples so pardon the size. The links to my articles are down until the website is back online.

Best,
Eric

B

Brent Holt

Great stuff! I look forward to seeing larger versions.

Brent

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

for those who have not seen this:

Mauretania's Last Voyage July 1-4, 1935 Pathe Newsreel

Best,
Eric

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Hi Eric,

Many thanks for sharing this piece of wonderful, if very sad, film with us. I have always wanted to see such a film like this, especially of her passing under the Forth Railway Bridge. I'll guess that there were more than a few tears shed by the watching crowds!

Lucy

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Lucy, Jason, Brent, Kyle and All,

July again. 73 years this time. All links above and are functioning. Time flies. One thing I'll correct - her Admiralty assigned war number was G1620, not S1620. Varying fonts, and both prefixes being in use at the time, on these plaques caused the confusion. The Youtube link is really something I'd never thought I'd see in motion - having it in photographs is one thing but to see it happening is incredible. I don't really think of it as sad - she was outdated in a word and in her scrapping she created much needed jobs. The final public inspection at Rosyth, attended by some 20,000 people in a queue a mile long, raised money donated to local charities.

“You have done your work well both in commercial and war service, making maritime history. You will pass your birthplace tomorrow, and our last fond message to you is Farewell, Mauretania.”￾ - Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Newcastle 7.2.35

“Goodbye, Tyneside. This is my last radio. Closing down forever, Mauretania.”￾ - Response to above 7.3.35

“Goodbye old lady, it’s a damn shame.”￾ - Message from a passing tramp steamer 7.3.35

The Flowers of the Forest - Played by a lone kilted piper at Great Michael Road at the Entrance Lock of the Metal Industries Rosyth Dockyard, 6 A.M. 7.4.35 (best version I could find by a lone piper that was not clipped - sorry it is Arizona and not Scotland

R.M.S. Mauretania 1906-1936, ashore at Tidal Beach No. 3 for final dismantling, Rosyth April 1936

OK. Now I have a tear in me eye.
Best wishes to all on this anniversary,
Eric
Here's to better days.

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Hi Eric and all fans of Mauretania,

At 6.00 this morning, I reflected that 73 years ago exactly, Mauretania had arrived at the place where she was to meet her end. If ever I get the chance to travel back in time, I want to be back there in 1935 to watch her pass under the Forth Bridge and tie up at the Rosyth quayside!

Best wishes,

Lucy