Sunday Meeting in Columbia South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 1998
Just got word that the State Museum in Columbia is going to have a little "Titanic" gathering at their exhibition this coming Sunday at 2:30 P.M. Bill and Susan Willard will be there and Bill will be giving a presentation and sharing some good Titanic information. Also Ann Manning and her daughter and grandchildren, all descendants of Titanic passenger Katie Gilnagh will be guests of honor. I'm planning to go over to Columbia for the afternoon and if anybody else in the South/North Carolina areas wants to join us, I'll spring for an early evening dinner in Columbia for everyone. Just let me know if you can be there.

Phil

Mar 10, 1998
Great news Kim and Darren! Brian Meister and Phil Gee will be there too and there are potentially a couple of others that may join us. Really looking forward to seeing you! I think all of the Gilnagh descendants will join us and hopefully Bill and Susan Willard will too. The SC State Museum has done a good job of publicizing the event by sending out press releases all over the state. Both the Florence Daily News and Charleston Post and Courier have been to my house in the last couple of days for loooong interviews about the Titanic passengers and Sunday's upcoming event with the Willards and Gilnagh family. A photographer came back this morning and took a bunch of photos of my "Titanic Room." I think the articles will appear on Sunday morning. I don't know if the State Newspaper is running an article about it or not.

Phil

JHPravatiner

Nov 2, 2001
Just wanted to say it was a real pleasure to meet you guys today! The museum presentations by both Phil and Bill were great, and dinner at California Dreaming was excellent--both the food and the conversation. Mrs. Manning and her family were wonderful people as well. My thanks again to you guys for a really wonderful Sunday!

BTW, Phil, I liked seeing the Florence paper you showed us. You're a celebrity--live it up, eh?

Sep 26, 1999
It was great seeing everyone. Bill did a really good job with his presentation and it was nice seeing that the Manning family was guest of honor at the State Museum. I enjoyed the company, the friendship and the food. Thanks Phil for a great evening.

May 18, 2004
Just a quick question here. How often do you all meet? I am stationed in North Carolina, well I'll be back there in August. I get to take a months leave and would love to meet up with other Titanic folks. It's been a dream of mine to actually talk deep Titanic and not get that deer in the headlights look. Any info would be appreciated. It's been a blast talking with many of you already...in person would no doubt be a blast!!!

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Geoffery,
Where are you stationed? I'm in Florence, SC and there are Titanic buffs in Columbia, Greenville, Easley, and Charleston as well as a "Titanic family" near Charleston. In N.C. there are buffs in the Charlotte area as well as Asheville, Greeneville and Raleigh.

Our annual "Titanic Dinner" is going to be in Budapest, Hungary this year instead of South Carolina but likely we'll have another one here in Florence in 2005. They are usually attended by members of ET from all over the United States and so far there has always been someone from overseas (Ireland, England and Hungary). If you happen to be stationed in Fayetteville you're less than 2 hours from Florence. You're welcome to come over for a visit anytime (with enough advance notice for me to get the house organized!).

Welcome to the forum!
Phil

May 18, 2004
Phillip.....stationed in Jacksonville North Carolina. I am in Africa right now (not the end of the world but you can see it from here). I know Florence is not far from Fayeteville...been there a couple of times. Budapest Hungary. Yikes...dont think I can make that one. I may take you up on your offer. Appreciate the invite. Like I said I would love to meet with other Titanic folks. Titanic family...related to what survivor/victim?

Geoff

Mar 10, 1998
Geoff--the Titanic family are desdendants of Irish survivor Mary Katherine (Katie) Gilnagh. They're now living in the Charleston suburbs but planning to move to Columbia later in the year. Very nice people and it will be great to have them even closer. They always attend any Titanic related gathering we have and are quite the celebrities down in this neck of the woods where Titanic connections are not too common. Where are you in Africa? Was on that unusual continent a few months ago (before and after a trip to Tristan da Cunha Island which IS the end of the world). Also made a stop in the Cape Verde Islands which I think are even referred to in the Book of Revelation ("The Abomination of Desolation"). Of course Cape Verde has connotations of greenery but I would have been satisfied to just spot a weed growing somewhere!

Phil

May 18, 2004
Phillip....I am in the Horn of Africa...Djibouti.
There are some green things here!! You can see the Red Sea if you travel far enough North. Your right, this a very unusual place but at least it's one more country I can notch on my belt. Katie Gilnagh...I recall a little bit about her. I had no idea her family lived so close. I must confess that I have always been shy of contacting family members. Some want nothing to do with the Titanic. When my parents were stationed in Indiana I found out that just an hour north August Wennerstrom was buried there. I made the trip and took pics. I will put them up on the puter if no one has ever seen his grave,( when I get back to the states). Well, his family is close by and I would have loved to have chatted with them. I know that one of his sons just recently died and is buried close to him. Culver Indiana is a very quaint small town. Anyhow, sorry to ramble off about that. Chat with you later.

Geoff

May 18, 2004
All:

I know I am pulling this thread out of history but.....I will be returning to the states in a couple of weeks after 6.5 months in hell...I mean Africa. Anyhow, I will be taking a 30 day leave period and would really enjoy a nice get together with a bunch of other Titanic buffs from NC and SC. I have never done anything like this before and you do not know what a thrill it would be for me to sit and chat Titanic.....never has happened before!! Let me know what you all think.

Geoff

May 18, 2004
The best times for me would be 21-22 August. Anywhere you wanna meet would be good. I am open to anything....30 days off and getting paid for it....the joys of being military!!!

Geoff

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Is there any way to make this meet a bit more north, as I would dearly love to meet people but it's a bit of a long run to Columbia from DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.