Super-Titanic.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
A fun item. An editorial, angered at the lack of American-built superliners, predicted the 20 deck super-ships of today, with a comic cutaway of what a Super Titanic would look like.

Attachments

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
A fun item. An editorial, angered at the lack of American-built superliners, predicted the 20 deck super-ships of today, with a comic cutaway of what a Super Titanic would look like.
This was awesome! I would like to make a distinction--for some reason I still care--between ocean liners and cruise ships. The vast majority of passenger ships these days, excluding ferries, are cruise ships. The only ocean liner built since the 1960s is Cunard's Queen Mary 2, which launched in 2004.

Fun facts, as a purpose built ocean liner,:
  • Queen Mary 2 required more than 50% more steel than a similar sized cruise ship; and
  • Obtained an exception to the Safety of Life at Sea ("SOLAS") treaty that allows her to carry her lifeboats on a more traditional 'boat deck' near the top of her superstructure (SOLAS normally dictates lifeboats can be no more than 90 feet from the waterline).

Still, as these comparison show, the original editorial is prophetic. :)

qm21.JPG
qm2.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
It's a cruise ship. During summer months it is a cruise ship that departs from NYC. Fun to call it an ocean liner, but it is a cruise ship that allows a certain demographic to have their cruise transatlantic. It has ocean liner drag...acres of brown plastic fake wood replicating the gastric accident color scheme of the QM... but, really, its only purpose is cruising. No one boards it thinking "I have a business meeting in London next Wednesday." No one boards it, all their worldly goods in a satchel, hoping to build a new life. You board it because you want a cruise experience. And many of the cruises begin in New York and terminate in Southampton. Which led to fun a while back, as someone felt the need to explain crossing versus cruising to me in midocean and I excitedly pointed out that the NYC/Southampton voyage now IS a cruise that allows a market share to play "It's1955 Again."

The last liners set forth ca 1965. Everything since then has been cruising.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
It's a cruise ship. During summer months it is a cruise ship that departs from NYC. Fun to call it an ocean liner, but it is a cruise ship that allows a certain demographic to have their cruise transatlantic. It has ocean liner drag...acres of brown plastic fake wood replicating the gastric accident color scheme of the QM... but, really, its only purpose is cruising. No one boards it thinking "I have a business meeting in London next Wednesday." No one boards it, all their worldly goods in a satchel, hoping to build a new life. You board it because you want a cruise experience. And many of the cruises begin in New York and terminate in Southampton. Which led to fun a while back, as someone felt the need to explain crossing versus cruising to me in midocean and I excitedly pointed out that the NYC/Southampton voyage now IS a cruise that allows a market share to play "It's1955 Again."

The last liners set forth ca 1965. Everything since then has been cruising.
Semantics! Sort of. Certainly you are correct in as much as she does 'cruise' and Cunard purposefully extends the Atlantic crossing to 7 days. She also has many of the amenities of a cruise ship; however, at her core she is an ocean liner.

She was designed to comfortably transport human cargo from one location to another over the open ocean. As I said earlier, this necessitated very specific design elements including the strengthening of her hull with considerably more steel than a cruise ship uses. One of the reasons that her construction costs, when measured by the cost per berth, was over $100,000 more than the average cost berth of a cruise ship.

T Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
That Super-Titanic outline still looks nicer from the outside than modern day mega cruise ships such as Oasis of the Seas look today.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
I remember a commentator made a mistake referring the QUEEN MARY 2 as a cruise ship to Stephen M. Payne. (Designer) Stephen was not impress and point out the differences giving the commentator bit of a dressing down. This not a cruise ship but a LINER! Regard a cruise ship as rather an inferior to his LINER!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Stephen. Dear Stephen. It's a cruise ship. The cruise demographic it aims for is the market share who wishes to play dress up and pretend that it is still 1955. It serves only to take the "It's a crossing, not a cruise" set on a cruise. It's a vacation barge. You can jump up and down angrily until you soil yourself, but calling a cruise ship a liner doesnt make it one,

Reactions: Seumas

T Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Queen Mary 2 is a cruise ship. I read an article about special design features it has for the higher sea states you'd expect more regularly on transatlantic runs compared to a more typical cruise ship going down the coast to/from/around the Caribbean, but even so QM2 is still a cruise ship.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
You may be right Queen Mary 2 will do cruise duty. But have been to a lecture by Stephen M. Payne. (Designer) he will tell you the ship was designed as a liner in mind. When it comes to a rough crossing on the Atlantic a cruise ship is no match against the Queen Mary 2 or the QE2 liner and the old Queen Mary liner to.

Reactions: Scott Mills

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
I doubt it. From my understanding Queen Mary 2 is quite profitable, and some acquaintances of mine who worked for Carnival told me a couple years ago that some thought went into building Queen Mary 2 a real sister, but that ultimately it made more sense for Cunard to build another Vista class cruise ship.

Given that, my suspicion is that when it comes time to retire Queen Mary 2, another ocean liner will be built.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
I believe I recall reading a conversation someone recounted with one of Queen Mary 2's officers a couple of years ago where that officer thought there was a good chance that Queen Mary 2 would eventually get a proper running mate; however, that was maybe a year ago, and while Cunard is adding a new ship, I am fairly certain it is an upsized Vista class cruise ship. Cunard's new ship is actually an upsized Pinnacle Class cruise ship. I just looked it up.

But you never know what could happen over the next decade. :)

Last edited: