Survival depended on chance or social hierarchy

Marian

Dec 20, 2011
Hello, I was wondering if any members could help me out. I am doing a dissertation of 8,000 words on the social aspects and consequences of the sinking of the Titanic and whether or not survival depended on chance or social hierarchy and so it is mainly a study of the third class passengers. Any ideas on what chapters I could include within my study and what books I should look at? I have already looked at the inquires, titanic culture such as movie adaptations and how social class is portrayed within cultural contexts, in terms of the historical debate I have looked at David Gleicher, in his publication ‘Research in Maritime History No. 31, The rescue of the third class on the Titanic, A revisionist history'. I am struggling to find books similar to Gleicher's.

Thank you

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Marian,

There are many books out there which touch on the subject of the gulf between first and third class passengers - for what it's worth I reckon you could do a lot worse than go back to older books such as Walter Lord's "A Night To Remember" or even Judith B. Geller's "Titanic: Women and Children First". The human element is always fascinating and those books tend to tell the story largely from the point of view of the passengers themselves, rather than the ship, which is always going to give the clearest indication of what went on as the ship was sinking. Anything you can find which is either written by or on behalf of the passengers is the way to go - I would even glance over old press reports which are available online
as well if you have the chance.

There's no doubt at all that first class passengers were given priority as the ship was sinking.

In any case, best of luck with your dissertation!

Cheers,
Adam.

Marian

Dec 20, 2011
Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for your reply and help! I will take a look at those publications and the press reports!

Much appreciated
Marian.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Marian, I generally recommend David Gleicher's book, though I think he overstates his case at times. It's well researched.

Our new book, THE LOSS OF THE SS TITANIC A CENTENNIAL REAPPRAISAL, contains a careful study of the treatment of the third class passengers. It's more detailed than anything previously seen. It counteracts misinformation put about in movies. It's becoming available right now.

Steven Biel's Down With the Old Canoe looks at how the disaster was seen by various groups in US society.

Some of the older books are getting a bit obsolete. ANTR is a good read, but it's not always reliable.

By the way, do you know that in raw figures slightly more third class men survived than first class? In percentage terms it was worse of course. Second class men did worst of all.

Marian

Dec 20, 2011
Thank you Mick and thank you Adam for the links! I really appreciate it!

Dave - THE LOSS OF THE SS TITANIC A CENTENNIAL REAPPRAISAL sounds like a very useful book and I am ordering it right now, and I will also order Biel's book! Thank you very much for the advice! Yes I have come across this, and so I am not sure how I will be able to conclude the dissertation, I am assuming it will argue both sides, that yes, social hierarchy played a vital part in surviving the disaster...... however, more third class men survived than first class........ ( and so is there is no definite one answer?)Sorry if that sounds a little bit all over the place! Thank you!

Marian

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Marian:

Just briefly, there is a sequel to Walter Lord's "A Night To Remember" called "The Night Lives On".

It's true that in terms of years it may have become a little obsolete, being over 50 years old now, but in my view first hand accounts can't be beaten and Lord's work was written when many of the important passengers and crew from the Titanic's voyage were still alive and able to be interviewed.

Cheers,
Adam.

Marian

Dec 20, 2011
Thanks Adam, I will look at both "A Night To Remember" and "The Night Lives On".

Thank you
Marian

Marian

Dec 20, 2011
Hello again, thank you all for the great advice you have given me! I was wondering if anyone could help me out in terms of how I should structure this investigation ( eg. what chapters should be included) in order to create an appropriate clear study

Thank You
Marian Bichara

Marian

Dec 20, 2011
So far this is what I have down

Introduction
Background
Statistics
Access to the deck
The Aftermath
Portrayal within the media — Newspapers
Survivor stories
Titanic Culture (media)
Historical debate
Bibliography

Are there any other chapters you may be able to suggest?