Surviving Lightoller Relatives

Neil McRae

Apr 16, 2001
I was just wondering if there are any nephews, neices, grandchildren, etc. of Charles Lightoller still around today. (No I don't plan to try to contact them.)

I know his wife is deceased, and both his sons (he only had 2, right?) were killed in action in WWII, but I believe he had at least one daughter.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Last I heard, there are both children and grandchildren still alive - the family is now scattered over the world (much like the Lowes), with members in the UK, America and New Zealand.

~ Inger

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Neal,
Lightoller's daughter Doreen is still living last I heard and there are plenty of grandchildren. Some of the descendants live in the Washington, DC metro area and others in California, and as Inger mentioned they are spread out in other parts of the world as well.

Regards,
Phillip

May 8, 2001
(Excitedly) A "Light in California"?
Mike H. are you witholding information from me???
neat, neat, neat..... Colleen

S

sharon rutman

Neil, Lightoller had five children--2 daughters and 3 sons. Brian and Roger were killed at opposite ends of World War II. Only Trevor survived. For years I corresponded with Sylvia Lightoller's niece Sylvia Sue Steel who lived in Florida and got much valueable information which I still have to this day.

Reactions: 1 user
L

lg griffith

Yes, Doreen is still alive, Mavis I am not sure about as she was in frail health (the last that I heard), all of Trevor's children and also Brian and Rodger's children are alive and there are plenty of great-grandchildren and also great great-grandchildren in the UK. Plus in Australia that part of the family.

P

Patti Darby

Sooo.... lg, I'm just curious, since you seem so familiar with the Lightollers - and your profile gave no hint - are you a friend of the family? Neighbor? Relative? Researcher?

Hope I'm not being too nosy. Inquiring minds and all, y'know..
happy.gif

L

lg griffith

Patti,

No, you are not being too nosy. My significant other is a Lightoller, one of his great grandson's to be exact.

S

sharon rutman

I didn't know Brian was married or had any children. Wasn't he terribly young when he was so tragically killed the first day WWII over Whilmshaven? I know Roger had one child(sex unknown)--I have a letter from Lightoller to his brother in law Mont Wilson saying that Marcia (Roger's wife) had her baby and little else.

L

lg griffith

Brian was around 22 when he was killed and was married with one child. Roger had two. Trevor had four.

Daphne Harrie

Jun 12, 2005
Well, I'm sure glad lg is no longer a member. What a lot of hogwash. I'd sure know if I had a sibling and Brian never had the opportunity to marry much less have children!!!!!

joe

Jun 2, 2011
Hi. I am Joe from Liverpool England and can tell you wonderful people that the great Charles Lightoller was my mother's uncle. Myself and my family remember my mother handing over certain material to our local museum many years ago. We did at one stage have in our possession our family tree along with a coat of arms and we are very proud of our heritage. Great to see so many interested. Thank you.