Survivors' clothes

T

Titanic fan

TITANIC fan
Mrs Eloise Hughes Smith wore her hoodie, boots, and coat before going inside lifeboat 6, also Bridget Delia McDermott, who was one of the 3 to survive from the group, "Adregoole Fourteen" got into a lifeboat safely but went back to her cabin to bring her hat which her mother probably had given her for her to wear it as it'd not fit a lady to not wear a hat and arrive at New York

Reactions: WarrenHarding
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Bridget Delia McDermott, who was one of the 3 to survive from the group, "Adregoole Fourteen" got into a lifeboat safely but went back to her cabin to bring her hat which her mother probably had given her for her to wear it as it'd not fit a lady to not wear a hat and arrive at New York
That story about Delia McDermott and her expensive new hat is quite famous and probably true. The most consistent version is that Delia (she reportedly preferred to be called by her middle name during her youth in Ireland) was actually sitting in Lifeboat #9 when she realized that she had left her precious little hat behind in the cabin. So she got off and hurried back to the cabin to retireve it, a particularly stupid act IMO considering how deep Third Class cabins were and the tortuous route to take to reach her cabin and get back. Nevertheless, she did so but by the time she got back to the boat deck, not only had Lifeboat #9 left but also Lifeboat #11. But she managed to find a place in Lifeboat #13 and was saved.

I wonder if her descendants have still got that hat; if so, it will be quite a collector's item.

Reactions: WarrenHarding
W

WarrenHarding

That story about Delia McDermott and her expensive new hat is quite famous and probably true. The most consistent version is that Delia (she reportedly preferred to be called by her middle name during her youth in Ireland) was actually sitting in Lifeboat #9 when she realized that she had left her precious little hat behind in the cabin. So she got off and hurried back to the cabin to retireve it, a particularly stupid act IMO considering how deep Third Class cabins were and the tortuous route to take to reach her cabin and get back. Nevertheless, she did so but by the time she got back to the boat deck, not only had Lifeboat #9 left but also Lifeboat #11. But she managed to find a place in Lifeboat #13 and was saved.

I wonder if her descendants have still got that hat; if so, it will be quite a collector's item.
Thank you for that bit of history - I had no idea and never heard or read about the "hat". I agree with you - that young lady was incredibly stupid to return to her cabin in the bowels of the ship and she was incredibly lucky....she survived!