Survivors' deaths by accident

K

Kathleen McNulty

Dear All

Did Annie Jermyn return to Ireland following the disaster? She is one of six Irish passengers whom I have never been able to track down and I would like a starting point to try and find her.

Many thanks in advance

Kathleen McNulty

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Kathleen,
After much effort, I did manage to locate the surviving family of Annie Jermyn--and this was a tough nut to crack--there were many times in the course of a couple of years that I thought my search was going to Jermyn-ate (sorry!)--but it sometimes seemed as if they had disappeared from the face of the earth. Finally, I located Edna Draper, daughter of Mary Grace Jermyn Draper, who was Annie's older sister. Edna is now in her 80's but she was the key that opened the door. Annie lived with her mother in Lynn, Massachusetts when she first arrived in the United States. I was able to glean the story of what happened to her after Titanic and, like so many of the other survivors, it is a sad story. Within days now, Senan Molony's new book "THE IRISH ABOARD TITANIC" will become available and Annie's story will appear as well as a good photo of her. I hope you understand that I need to defer answering your question so as not to "scoop" the book for the moment. Bear with us, after several year's research, the time is very nigh.

Who are the other Irish passengers you haven't accounted for? My biggest nemesis was Norah Murphy--found some good info on virtually all the others but she eluded me entirely. In the United States (where I myself did most of the personal contact with family members) we got great cooperation with all we contacted with the lone exception of Bertha Mulvihill's family who did respond but advised that they were "Titanic'd out." (Senan had great information on Bertha anyway and I had met some of her relatives in Ireland when I visited there in 1998). But we did have very good cooperation on the part of the family members of the McCoy siblings, Thomas McCormack, Ann McGowan, Mary Agatha Glynn, Helen Mary Mockler, Ellen Corr, John Kennedy, Hannah Godfrey O'Brien, Bridget Delia McDermott, Annie Jermyn, Kate Connolly, Katie McCarthy, Kate Gilnagh, Anna Kate Kelly, Helen Shine, Minnie Coutts, James McGough, Kate Murphy, Margaret Murphy, Maggie Daly, Eugene Daly, Hannah Riordan, and others (including families of those who were lost in the sinking). Although I did track down the present whereabouts of Patrick O'Keefe's son Edward, and all of Edward's daughters, I did not contact them personally at any time. I did, however, spend more money on O'Keefe research than I did on any of the other Irish survivors insofar as obtaining documents and pertinent biographical information which have resulted in a superior outline of his life.

Once the book is launched, I'll be glad to go into detail as to every step I took in the process of locating the surviving family members should there be any questions about that which arise.

My best,
Phillip

Apr 10, 2001
A P.S. to my above message. After rereading it--I want to be very specific in adding that the book is NOT my book--Senan Molony of Dublin is the author--he wrote all of the text and deserves all the credit for what is a fine Titanic work. My part of the effort was to provide some American raw material--nothing more.

K

Kathleen McNulty

Dear Phillip

Wow -- you have done your work and I wish you and Senan all the best of luck. Any books in the pipeline for you (and Mr Findlay and Mr Bracken?)?

You mentioned that Norah Murphy was your biggest problem -- yep, she would be mine also, considering that I know she died in New York (well, somewhere in NY) and has family members still living (a granddaughter, I think) who don't even know what became of her; she is a stubborn old cow, isn't she!

The other survivors who have eluded me entirely are: Hannah O'Brien, Kate Connolly, Margaret Madigan, Maggie Daly and John Kennedy. I have promising leads for the latter two but nothing definite yet. I will post any definite findings, provided everybody doesn't find out before via Mr Molony's book presents the facts in much more detail than I ever could!

A big thanks to everybody who has taken part in this discussion.

Best of luck

Kathleen

(ps: any ideas about the discussion started about 'A SURVIVOR NOT LISTED?')

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Kathleen,

Robert Bracken and I are presently collaborating on a new book about the Titanic and her people. It will be very encyclopedic in nature, but will tell the Titanic story through the eyes of the people who experienced the first and last voyage. While Senan's book will concentrate on the Irish passengers, our volume extends its scope to include everybody.

Friends of ours have pressured us to finally publish our years or research rather than continuously supply information to others. We have finally taken their advice, and hope everyone will enjoy the end result.

More information about the book will be forthcoming by the summer.

Regards,

Michael Findlay

Apr 10, 2001
Kathleen,
And I'm not a writer but thoroughly enjoy sharing what I find with others who are interested and will enjoy the continuing effort to track down the more elusive ones. Already have found around 10 this year that had never been tracked before (or at least no one had previously come forward with the information)--am preparing several articles on the new finds and will continue to submit information to Encyclopedia Titanica and individuals who ask.

Phillip

J

John Stocker

Dear Phillip,
Thank you for the information regarding the book "The Irish Aboard Titanic." If it is no trouble, is there a website or E-mail address where we can preorder a copy of this book? If so, I would appreciate it if you could pass the information along, and am sure others would too. Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,
John Stocker
Key West, Florida

Apr 10, 2001
John,
Thanks for your interest. I feel sure there is (or will be) a way to preorder shortly but I have to plead ignorance at the moment. I used your question as an excuse to call Senan in Ireland but he's working late tonight. Will get you an answer quickly.

Thanks,
Phillip

S

Seong

Dear Mr. Findlay,
By chance, have you or Bob Bracken ever been able to track down Eugene Daly or his cousin Margaret Daly? I know that Margaret never married, and have been told that Eugene did, but have been unable to find his wife's name. I have learned from a friend that his daughter's name is Marion. Searches of public records have not helped me uncover his wife's name, and an acquaintance of mine who has been wondering the same thing has not found anything either. Any information that you would be willing to share would be most appreciated. In addition, do you have an E-mail address where you can be contacted privately, or do you prefer keeping discussions on this board? Well, thanks much for your help.
Sincerely,
Seong Ae-Mun

J

John Stocker

Dear Phillip,
Thank you for your efforts. I hope that you will let us know what Senan says, regarding pre-ordering his book. I know several people, myself included, would love to hear how to obtain a copy of the book. Thanks again for your help.
Sincerely,
John Stocker
Key West, Florida

May 8, 2001
Hi Kathleen!
Great news for you! You can remove one of those elusive ones off that list of yours. A fitting memorial tribute has just surfaced on Margaret Madigan!
I would repeat it, but don't want to infringe on any copyrighted material.
Here is the URL. Hope this answers some questions for you!
Colleen
www titanic-titanic.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2593

Feb 22, 2005
Many of those that survived the sinking of the Titanic, did die due to overcrowding of some boats and other half filled boats going away and not coming back till too late. Also some people had accidently pushed others under the water in panic to try and save them selves.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Carole

It's news to me that anyone died due to overcrowding - hyperthermia maybe.

As to boats going back too late the view expressed by many experienced members of ET is that it would have been suicide to go back too soon.

It is a natural survival instinct to grab anything or anyone you can, if you are drowning. I am pretty sure you and I would do it. Life savers are taught how to handle people they are trying to rescue to avoid being dragged under by the person they are trying to save.

Violet Jessop who went into the water from a lifeboat when the Britannic sank admitted she grabbed someone's arm when she was under water. She subsequently heard the chap telling someone about it.